Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lacerta Solar Finder

Fozzie

Just as a quick and easy solution I treated myself to a solar finder.

While debating with myself whether it was really a necessary item to have, after all I’ve never struggled finding this particular target either with a wide field EP or using the scopes shadow as a general indicator, I noticed the Lacerta offering from 365 Astronomy at roughly £29 delivered, when looking through the various on line options.

Swayed and a little bit bored at work I decided to take another punt and push the button.  Next morning arrived a little jiffy envelope containing the finder.

I’ll make this quick a simple pros and cons

Positives

• Finish – Very good red paint finished on top of machined aluminium, solid feel and robust.
  • Weight – circa 200g
  • Ease of use – fits to a standard synta dovetail, mine didn’t need to be aligned to the scope, clear sunspot indicator to view window for alignment, which also stayed for a good while afterwards too

Negatives,

• No packaging on delivery, came in jiffy envelope and a plastic bag – not too secure (although was recorded delivery) 
  • Would be worried about in transit damage and off scope storage (if you have no room in your EP case!)

All in all a very nice, if not extravagant, bit of kit which to coin the phrase, “does exactly what it says on the tin” and makes the job of finding the sun a lot easier..

If you’re in the market for one, it’s solid, well built, and lovely in red, doesn’t need any other type of mounting options either..  definitively plug and play.

A few Pictures,

post-33699-0-23230200-1442930544_thumb.j

post-33699-0-69318500-1442930565_thumb.j

Thanks for reading

Fozzie

It looks good but have to say im more down to earth. I used to use a loo roll tube, cardboard with a pin hole on end, greaseproof the other, then put a dot on the greaseproof with a felt tip once it was aligned. Saved me getting down on my (old) knees to get a photo too early.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Archived