SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My metal barndoor

GigiG

Hi all, just completed my metal barndoor project, built using simple hollow profiles of alluminium. The stepper is a RepRap like NEMA17, 12V. The electronics is based on an Arduino ProMini and an A4988 driver (I also built a version with an EasyDriver) and the software was written by Daniel Berrange. The critical part was the main hinge. I first tried to use a simple brass hinge (like those used for wood cabinets) but because of too much play I figured it was better to build a dedicated rotational joint by myself. Now it works very well. Hope that might be of help for someone diyer ...

Ciao

Gigi

Thank you for sharing your project.

I well check out the Daniel Berrange link.

My stalled project is also going to use the EasyDriver.

Got all the parts (bar one oh and a small welding head) so will have a good read of your page as well and your gallery of build pictures.

The only part I have not yet found is a cog to fit on the motor drive shaft.

I see you are driving your barn door directly I had planned to indirectly drive the bolt through use of cogs as I am turning a manual build into motorised.

Thanks to all. I hope to make some shots as soon as possible. If someone is interested in building an electronics box like mine I'll make available the .svg mask for home etching the PCB (for both DRV8825/A4988 and EasyDriver).

Archived