Narrowband

Why cant I align?!

Ive managed to find Polaris with my eq5 polar scope but I thought the next step (before 2 star alignment) was to keep the scope straight along its axis but when i then try to align its miles out its supposed to be a few minutes out but its miles out - any ideas?!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, the date on the synscan is in American format so instead of putting 21/09/15 put 09/21/15,

If that doesn't work then make sure the time is as accurate as possible, the mount is level, location is as accurate as possible and also make sure the mount is in Park position before beginning the alignment :)

Gino is right but the handset wouldn't let you put 21 in as the first date number anyway, only a number between 1 and 12 for the month. mm/dd/yy is the format necessary and daylight saving should be switched ON right now. Where are you in the UK?

Gino is right but the handset wouldn't let you put 21 in as the first date number anyway, only a number between 1 and 12 for the month. mm/dd/yy is the format necessary and daylight saving should be switched ON right now. Where are you in the UK?

I've always had daylight savings switched off every time I've polar aligned and after I've centered both stars in a 2 star alignment I've almost always had my imaging target quite close to central

This is something to try. Start up mount in standard home position i.e. weights down, scope pointing to Polaris. Once time an date is set, opt out of alignment then choose to park scope in home position. If the mount moves scope to a different position then manually unlock the RA and Dec clutches and move scope and weights back to home position, then continue with two star alignment to see if it is pointing more accurately. 

This is something to try. Start up mount in standard home position i.e. weights down, scope pointing to Polaris. Once time an date is set, opt out of alignment then choose to park scope in home position. If the mount moves scope to a different position then manually unlock the RA and Dec clutches and move scope and weights back to home position, then continue with two star alignment to see if it is pointing more accurately. 

Thats a really good idea thank you - hope to be out this weekend :)

I'm also new to all this, albeit with an EQ6, and find there are many things to do, and forget.

Have you aligned you polar scope to your mount?

I've also found the Atlas manual much easier to follow than the SkyWatcher version.

Atlas manual?

Sorry, the Atlas is the EQ6 equivalent in Orion.

Your EQ5 is basically the same mount, just a bit lighter. Possibly Orion's Sirius or Sky View Pro.

Anyway the Polar Scope Alignment procedure is the same. Download this .....   http://www.manualguru.com/orion/skyview-pro-9829/users-manual-2/page-6       ' 'Alignment of the Polar Axis Finder Scope'

If this procedure hasn't been done your mount could be all over the place.

If you have done this procedure I apologise for my newbie fix for your tracking problems.

Sorry, the Atlas is the EQ6 equivalent in Orion.

Your EQ5 is basically the same mount, just a bit lighter. Possibly Orion's Sirius or Sky View Pro.

Anyway the Polar Scope Alignment procedure is the same. Download this .....   http://www.optcorp.com/pdf/Orion/29195_07-10.pdf  and go to Page 6 ' Alignment of the Polar Axis Finder Scope'

If this procedure hasn't been done your mount could be all over the place.

If you have done this procedure I apologise for my newbie fix for your tracking problems.

Hi Kev,

Im so keen to open the attached pdf but the link is broken - can you send another? :)

I was working on it.

I've just changed the link.

Hi Kev,

Im clicking it but its coming up with:

We are sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found.
  • If you typed the URL directly, please make sure the spelling is correct.
  • If you clicked on a link to get here, we must have moved the content.

Please try our store search box above to search for an item.

• If you are not sure how you got here, go back to the previous page or return to our store homepage.

this is a good tutorial on aligning polar scope to mount maybe source of a problem, I had an eq3-2 lil brother of EQ5 then bought the polar scope, had to align to mount as was out considerably forget it says HEQ5 its just a beefed up version of the EQ5 should still be the same procedure.

hope this helps.

http://www.astro-baby.com/HEQ5/HEQ5-1.htm

Archived