Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OOUK VX12L

Mike73

After just 7 months of not observing I decided enough was enough and I had to get back under the stars again and I needed a scope....again!  :rolleyes:

It wasn't hard to decide what I wanted and what would suit my observing, I really enjoy going to dark sites but I also enjoy observing from home looking (sketching) at the planets and moon, although 12" doesn't seem to be classed as a big scope these days it does have enough aperture for DSO's but also not too big to overpower seeing conditions with the planets.

I opted for the Orion Optics VX12L f/5.3 with 1/8Pv optics, it was a nice surprise when checking the Zygo report that the primary is in fact very nearly 1/10th which was a bonus.

So I'm currently doing all the mods needed to make the scope my own e.g. flocking,dew shields,Telrad heater and nudging knob. I haven't got a friction brake for it at the moment and although the scope balances fine I do need some kind of resistance on the alt bearing when changing from heavy low power EP to the lighter Morpheus. 

I've had it out briefly last week just to check everything was ok but I'm hoping for its real first light tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed! :)

post-20821-0-28626900-1442844416.jpg

Very nice scope Mike :smiley:

Sort of familliar somehow ??? :grin:

Orion Optics seem to exceed the spec you ordered - mine is supposed to be 1/8th wave PV but is 1/9th from the Zygo report.

I understand what you mean by a 12" being thought of as more "medium aperture" these days but they are pretty potent tools used with some thought and a little skill. I think the focal ratio / focal length of the F/5.3's helps you feel that you are right in amongest the deep sky fields, especially when the sky is reasonably dark :smiley:

Great all round visual scopes im my opinion and I'm sure you will really enjoy yours :smiley:

Thanks for the comments chaps.

My decision to go for a 12" was made partly by remembering how much fun I had with my old 12" SW, looking through my old sketches but I've also been occasionally checking the forum over the last 6 months and something thats quite clear is the quality observations made by people on the forum with 'modest' sized scopes.

Theres been some great observing on the forum recently and those reports have given me the kick up the rear end to get back into it again so thank you all. :)

Nice one Mike, good luck with the new scope.

I've just purchased a 10" OO VX10L off eBay.

Just waiting for the Dob mount to be made at OO.

In the meantime, time for one or two mods.......

my self and mike, found it quicker to get the base from ts optics. you will only have to wait 3 days

Archived