SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another one...

Whistlin Bob

Hello! I first came onto this site a few months ago and thought it was about time I said thanks...

I came into a 3 inch reflector that was someone else's unwanted present about 18 months ago and out of curiosity more than anything else last winter took the time to assemble it and see what I could see. Found the whole thing a bit frustrating to start with (thought I'd done something wrong when it all came out upside down) and then disappointing (didn't look much like the Hubble images you see on the net), but gradually started to get hooked. I was blown away by the detail you could see on the moon- then a few months back got a fantastic view of Jupiter, moons included.

I decided that I wanted to get an upgrade, which led to a tonne of questions, which in turn led me here... More or less anything I wanted to know (and lots of things that hadn't occurred to me) were covered in one thread or another. What I've picked up on here has led to me ditching (for now at least) both my astrophotography ambitions and tendency toward electronic gizmos and investing in an 8 inch Dob. I've had 2 months of fun with it (so long as we're not talking about the collimation) exploring the moon, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn and on a clear night last week I set about finding M13. 40 minutes later there it was in all its twinkling glory...

So I thought I'd come back on and say thanks for all of the advice and for being that rare thing- a site on the internet where people seem to know what they're talking about and want to help others as well.

Now, if someone could just direct me to the thread on how to see through clouds I'll be very happy...

Welcome to SGL - Many google searches point to the forum which shows how full of information it is. You're right about people being friendly and helpful too, which is a massive bonus :D

Glad that you found us and look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Bob and welcome to SGL, thank you for your kind acknowledgement of how helpful this forum has been to you, I am sure many others will feel the same way. it is just a pity you missed out on FLO`s prototype cloud guns, they had for sale on the 1st of April this year :D

Archived