sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Smartphone bracket for PushTo system (Dob)

I have been thinking for a while the best way to attach my smartphone to my Dob to make it easier to find objects in the night sky. I have used printed skymaps before but I sometimes just prefer to use the skyeye app.

First I ordered a cheap plastic case from eBay. This was for my old Samsung S3 that I no longer use. I also recently added a Telrad so was able to borrow some parts from the original finderscope (I am using the small bracket that attaches to the OTA).

Next I cut down a cheap plastic shelf bracket that I bought from IKEA (50p) and this slipped into the finderscope bracket nicely.

Glue gun was then used to attach an old furniture foot bracket to the phone case and I widened the hole in the bracket to accept the thicker thread. 15mm nut tightened it all together.

I deliberately attached the phone in a manner that I could rotate it into portrait or landscape mode to suit. It is also far enough down the tube that I won't knock it with my head when using the Telrad.

I have only used sticky pads at the moment to attach to the OTA until I am happy with the position, then a few nuts and bolts will finish the installation.

Total cost (excluding phone) is about £3. Looking forward to seeing how it works now.

Hopefully this helps anyone else thinking along the same lines.

Regards,

Mark

post-35333-0-84745200-1442781470_thumb.j

post-35333-0-80139000-1442781628_thumb.j

post-35333-0-53153000-1442781653_thumb.j

post-35333-0-67361700-1442781717_thumb.j

post-35333-0-05555100-1442781742_thumb.j

post-35333-0-82608400-1442781771_thumb.j

post-35333-0-01713500-1442782111_thumb.j

• Like 3

I like that a lot ! Doesnt the ota affect the phones compass and gyro though ?

Thanks! Not tried it out properly but if it is close enough I will be happy.

If it doesn't work then it hasn't cost very much and the OTA will be unharmed as nothing is permanent......yet.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mark Jo
      Hi 
      I have bought a skywatcher MN190 recently as the collimation appears a little off yhink need to collminate, assumed that there would be locking and adjustment screws on the primary but theee are are only 3 assumed adjustment stews, though there are 3 screw holes for locking???
      is this correct???
      or should there be 3 locking Screws and 3 adjustments?
      the included ‘manual’ is useless no information on this. 

cant find much useful info on doing this on MN’s
      assumed Colimation would be more less same as Newtonian- is that correct?

• By Philip Terry
      Not as spectacular as M13 a few nights ago, but comes up nicely with Samsung Galaxy S10 and an 8" SCT. Conditions were a bit iffy.

• By Philip Terry
      Hi everyone - Despite moonlight and some haze last night I thought I'd try a speculative shot of M13. 8" SCT on HEQ-5 Pro with Samsung Galaxy S10 in night mode, single shot, no fancy stuff. Came out quite well. I normally photograph the moon; I attach an old shot from that great period of weather back in April-June. The scope was undriven on an old alt-az mount, and the phone hand-held for that one.

• By Astro Dave
      I recently decided to give the SynScan app a try on my new Orion XT10g.
      Now using the hand controller I was familiar with the "Brightest Star" and "Two-Star" alignments methods, indeed I always use the Two-Star method.
      With the app however I see that the Two-Star has been replaced with the level north two star.   What is that?  And since there's no manual for the app, what precisely does level north mean?  I'm guessing that you level the OTA and point north but with what precision?  Any idea why that replaces the Two-Star method from the hand controller?
      OK, so fine.  I did the Level North alignment.  I noticed that as it goes to each of the two stars and stops, while waiting for you to center the star, a couple of the directional buttons are flashing.  What's interesting is that the ones flashing are not the ones for the direction that the scope needs to move to center the star.  Again, what's up with this?
      Finally, after aligning and doing a Goto (reasonably accurate), once it arrives at the target again, one of the directional buttons is flashing and there's a message above the object name that says that I'm to center it.   Huh?  
      Can someone help me make sense of all this.  And, is there a manual for this app ??
      Thanks.
    • By Spider-Man
      Hi all, as a complete beginner, who is gradually getting some kit together, the question of which Polar Alignment App I should get for my Android phone is exercising my mind.  Looking at the android play store there seems to be a myriad to choose from, which do members recommend & why?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.