Heq5 mains power

matt-c

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And lastly how do I connect multiple things to it? Sorry if that's sounds ridiculous, maybe a hub or something?

If you get something like this 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connection-cable-Crocodile-Clamps-Battery-Pliers-on-Cigarette-Lighter-/251928178461?hash=item3aa816ef1d

to connect to the battery 

(depending on your battery I'm sure you can get more secure connections to the terminals)

then you can just plug in a splitter like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-CAR-MULTI-SOCKET-CIGARETTE-ADAPTER-4-IN-1-VAN-TRUCK-/120963524015?hash=item1c29fce5af

(those links are just quickly found ones and might not be the cheapest).

however with leisure batteries people do often put them in toolboxes (or similar), wired up permanently to the power sockets - there's plenty of "power tank" diy projects on here.  The one thing you have to be certain about is that you don't connect up the battery the wrong way round - it would most likely damage/ruin your mounts motherboard .

Hi,

I suggest you buy a sealed lead acid GEL type leisure battery, they are used in golf trolleys or to power invalid motor scooters. They are heavy, but are far safer than standard lead acid as they don't outgass normally whilst being charged. (I suggest at least a 55Ah battery). You can buy them from Tayna Batteries. Also buy Quick Release battery terminal clamps as they protect the battery terminals from accidental shorting to some extent, but this depends upon the battery terminal type!!!! Be sure before buying. They are also available from Tayna. Then fit an inline automobile waterproof blade type fuse holder into the positive lead to protect everything. A 10 amp fuse will do it. (Keep a couple of spare fuses with you). You can fit a block of 12 volt sockets on the end of the battery leads to power your equipment. Keep the leads short so as not to loose power and as heavy gauge wire as possible (2.5mm if possible up to the distribution block).

Then you will be as safe as possible. Just make sure you never short out an unprotected battery across its terminals!!! Batteries contain a heck of a lot of power. A short can cause a very large discharge of power enough to vaporise any connection wire or a dropped spanner. Molten bits can cause blindness! Or bad burns.

In other words use extreme caution.......

You did say you were not sure about powering the mount, read up anything you can and be safe. ENJOY the hobby, that is the main aim!

Derek

Archived