Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did anyone else see it?

I saw my first PROPER meteor/fireball :hello1:

About 11:15 last night, it went from South, overhead through the plough and ended just to the right of the pole star. Very bright and could see it breaking up towards the end like a firework with large vapour trail afterwards. It only lasted a couple seconds and I wouldn't say it was a fireball, more of a bright meteor, moving slightly slower than an average shooting star. Incredible sight and glad that after 3 years of serious stargazing, I've finally witnessed something entering our atmosphere that was bigger than a pea :angry: .

Just to add, it was a lovely night allround. First warm and clear night this year, saw Mercury, showed off Saturn as promised to a friend (always great seeing reactions). Also had a gander at Leo triplet, Bodes galaxies, M13 and Algieba double.

Matt

ps Anyone else witness it?

Matt

I think you might have answered a possible query that happened last night. I was observing through my 4" refractor searching for the 'Whale' galaxy when FOV brighten up for a split second and then cleared. I looked up and saw a very bright object disappearing before reaching the horizon. The only difference was that this object went in the direction of SW and I thought that it was a satellite. I thought it disappeared because it lost sunlight. I look forward for further explanations.

Mark

Just to complicate things there was a -6 iridium flare in the West from my location about 1 minute beforehand which I also saw. As you can imagine a strange couple of minutes.

Matt

Archived