SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar Aligning

Alt/Az mounts don't need polar aligning - only equatorial ones do. It's the mount that has to be aligned in any event - so it will move the scope along the correct trajectory in the sky - the scope itself has nothing to do with the polar alignment. :)

Ah that has cleared a few things up :smiley: I'm looking to get a Skywatcher Explorer 200P Telescope + EQ5 Mount Kit without goto tech I take it I will not need to align it until I upgrade, is there anything similar to this anyone can recommend?

Thanks Again, 

If you think you may have a stab at Astrophotography in the future, a GoTo mount is essentially for finding DSO's that you cannot see also there is a P-DS version of the 200 that is built to take a Camera the normal 200P doesn't have enough inward travel for focusing...welcome to SGL...

For visual only, with your prospective Explorer on an EQ5, you only need to do a rough polar align, point the axis of the mount towards Polaris and you are done.  You take a cap off at the front of the mount axis, turn the mount so that you can see straight through the axis and then eye-align to Polaris, that is good enough.

Can the Skywatcher Explorer 200PDS (EQ5) take 1.5" and 2" eyepieces?

Yes it can.

If you think you may have a stab at Astrophotography in the future, a GoTo mount is essentially for finding DSO's that you cannot see also there is a P-DS version of the 200 that is built to take a Camera the normal 200P doesn't have enough inward travel for focusing...welcome to SGL...

The 200p does have enough inward travel for a dslr. You just need to unscrew the 1.25 eyepiece from the 2 inch then screw the 2 inch adapter into the t-ring

Archived