Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time binocular purchase advice.

shelby90

Hey all, so today was my lucky day. A friend of mine told me he'd happily give me his old pair of 10x50's that he doesn't use! It'll be a little while until I get my hands on them so I couldn't resist getting something today. I bought a pair of Orion 15x70's (along with a sturdy tripod) and they are so much fun! I spent a long time looking at the Moon and was in awe. I could identify the craters Theophilus, Cyrillus, and Catharina easily (hopefully I identified them correctly). I have never seen the Moon like that before.

And I saw a fireball meteor while I was out! I'm not sure what magnitude, but fantastic all the same.

Thanks to all who gave their input and advice. I'm happy that I will have both pairs of bins for all occasions, because even after one night, I can see that pulling a tripod out isn't always the most convenient. But after tonight, I am so enthralled with the night sky, more so than ever  :rolleyes:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see that pulling a tripod out isn't always the most convenient.

A monopod can be a lot easier, once you get used to it. I have one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002J9MMDI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00for my 15*70s, but I'm sure there would be something equivalent available in CA.

A monopod can be a lot easier, once you get used to it.

I've never used a monopod, but I can see how they may need some getting used to. They seem super portable which is nice. I'll look into them. Thank you.

Congrats on your new bins (both of them), your first light and the fireball. Not a thing you see every night. Have fun!

Thanks! A perfect night if I ever had one. I reported the fireball to the american meteor society, so maybe someone else saw it too.

Hi Shelby90,

Coming in late to this:

Looks like you've already decided but, just in case: Choosing binoculars for astronomy

Also, most people who askabout this get the standard "interne expert" advice which is along the lines of "get fully multicoated & Bak-4 prisms and you'll be OK". As HL Mencken said, for every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, & wrong. Here's why in this case. I'm just finishing reviewing a 10x50 that is merely "coated" and has much-maligned BK7 prisms - it is far better optically than some fully multi-coated Bak-4 BSOs*  I could name.

HTH

* Binocular Shaped Objects

Hey all, so today was my lucky day. A friend of mine told me he'd happily give me his old pair of 10x50's that he doesn't use! It'll be a little while until I get my hands on them so I couldn't resist getting something today. I bought a pair of Orion 15x70's (along with a sturdy tripod) and they are so much fun! I spent a long time looking at the Moon and was in awe. I could identify the craters Theophilus, Cyrillus, and Catharina easily (hopefully I identified them correctly). I have never seen the Moon like that before.

And I saw a fireball meteor while I was out! I'm not sure what magnitude, but fantastic all the same.

Thanks to all who gave their input and advice. I'm happy that I will have both pairs of bins for all occasions, because even after one night, I can see that pulling a tripod out isn't always the most convenient. But after tonight, I am so enthralled with the night sky, more so than ever  :rolleyes:

I just looked up the Orion 15 x 70 bins. They look almost exactly like the Celestron SkyMaster 15 x 70s. Probably made by the same company.

I just looked up the Orion 15 x 70 bins. They look almost exactly like the Celestron SkyMaster 15 x 70s. Probably made by the same company.

Hi Demos :) Yes, I'm pretty sure Kunming United Optical supply these binos which are then branded under a number of names.

http://www.united-optics.com/Products/Binoculars/Giant_Binoculars/Giant_Binoculars.html

The BA8's are utterly superb! :)

Two pairs of binos, result! :)

Here's a popular bit of free software which might help with planning your observing sessions:

http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

You'll just have to set up your location.

Have fun :)

Chris, I just downloaded that program and its awesome! Thanks so much.

Hi Shelby90,

Coming in late to this:

Looks like you've already decided but, just in case: Choosing binoculars for astronomy

Also, most people who askabout this get the standard "interne expert" advice which is along the lines of "get fully multicoated & Bak-4 prisms and you'll be OK". As HL Mencken said, for every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, & wrong. Here's why in this case. I'm just finishing reviewing a 10x50 that is merely "coated" and has much-maligned BK7 prisms - it is far better optically than some fully multi-coated Bak-4 BSOs*  I could name.

HTH

* Binocular Shaped Objects

BinocularSky, thanks for that info. Very important things to consider and know about the optics. I guess things are never black and white. For now, I'm happy with my purchase and will save for something of higher quality in the future. The last line in that article about always trying before you buy is so true. I am very glad I went to the store and checked out the view for myself. The first pair they brought out were out of collimation, so they had to pull another pair. The second ones were vastly better. That's certainly a testament to the quality control.

The Orion's do seem exactly the same as the SkyMasters. The only difference I could tell was the Orion's are advertised as "fully multi-coated" while the SkyMasters are "multi-coated." But maybe that doesn't mean much.

Chris, I just downloaded that program and its awesome! Thanks so much.

BinocularSky, thanks for that info. Very important things to consider and know about the optics. I guess things are never black and white. For now, I'm happy with my purchase and will save for something of higher quality in the future. The last line in that article about always trying before you buy is so true. I am very glad I went to the store and checked out the view for myself. The first pair they brought out were out of collimation, so they had to pull another pair. The second ones were vastly better. That's certainly a testament to the quality control.

The Orion's do seem exactly the same as the SkyMasters. The only difference I could tell was the Orion's are advertised as "fully multi-coated" while the SkyMasters are "multi-coated." But maybe that doesn't mean much.

According to Celeston's website the Skymaster's should be fully multi just like Orion's...  I know that there is a difference and fully multi-coated is preferable but I'm not sure exactly how much that difference actually impacts real life viewing.

According to Celeston's website the Skymaster's should be fully multi just like Orion's...  I know that there is a difference and fully multi-coated is preferable but I'm not sure exactly how much that difference actually impacts real life viewing.

These catch phrases do not necessarily mean that much. Type of glass, coatings, etc only make a difference if the rest of the design is up to scratch. Some older bins with simple coating but good figure of the optics, good internal design, and no undersized prism do a better job than more modern "fully multi-coated" optics with poor design.

Hm.. everything I've read has indicated multi-coating on the Celestron's (with the exception of some of their other models and the 15x70 SkyMaster Pro's). Here's where I was looking, but maybe there's info out there that contradicts.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/astronomy-binoculars/skymaster-15x70-binocular 

Still, not saying it would make a big difference. But I've never tried out the SkyMaster's.

These catch phrases do not necessarily mean that much. Type of glass, coatings, etc only make a difference if the rest of the design is up to scratch. Some older bins with simple coating but good figure of the optics, good internal design, and no undersized prism do a better job than more modern "fully multi-coated" optics with poor design.

Ultimately I accept that my Orion's probably don't have the best design elements and aren't top of the line. For my first budget pair, I'm pretty happy. I can only go up from here, right?  :icon_biggrin:

My first 15x70 bins were cheap Omegons, very similar to your Orions. I had a lot of fun observing with them. They travel very easily, and showed me many marvels of the southern skies from Australia and South Africa. They were my workhorse binoculars for many years. I am sure the Orion version will be fine (especially for the money)

For my first budget pair, I'm pretty happy. I can only go up from here, right?  :icon_biggrin:

Too right. There is an astronomical adage that the best telescope (in this case, pair of binoculars) is the one that gets used.

If they are getting used and giving you views that satisfy you, then you are onto a winner.

This hobby can absorb vast amounts of money very quickly, and far too often, with very little gain. IMO, worry about upgrading when they no longer satisfy AND you know that what you are buying will.

My first 15x70 bins were cheap Omegons, very similar to your Orions. I had a lot of fun observing with them. They travel very easily, and showed me many marvels of the southern skies from Australia and South Africa. They were my workhorse binoculars for many years. I am sure the Orion version will be fine (especially for the money)

That's encouraging to hear. Hopefully they last for years to come. I want to reinforce the carrying case they came with though. It's pretty flimsy so maybe adding padding of some kind.

Too right. There is an astronomical adage that the best telescope (in this case, pair of binoculars) is the one that gets used.

If they are getting used and giving you views that satisfy you, then you are onto a winner.

This hobby can absorb vast amounts of money very quickly, and far too often, with very little gain. IMO, worry about upgrading when they no longer satisfy AND you know that what you are buying will.

I like that adage. Up until today, we've had some clear skies the past few nights and the bins have seen a lot of use so far. So fingers crossed for more clear nights! My mom actually has a ~15 year old Meade telescope that I have no real clue how to use (neither does she). I think it might be missing parts, but maybe that puzzle is for another thread!

ABsolutely. This is a very good rule for buying stuff. I did not start with top-of-the-line EPs, but just a set of decent Plossls. Only when I got annoyed with their shortcomings did I upgrade.

My mom actually has a ~15 year old Meade telescope that I have no real clue how to use (neither does she). I think it might be missing parts, but maybe that puzzle is for another thread!

Age may not be a problem (depending on how the optics have faired). Start a new thread in the "Equipment" section and specify the model and I'm sure someone will be able to offer advice. If you cannot find the model, then a photo would probably enable some direction.

ABsolutely. This is a very good rule for buying stuff. I did not start with top-of-the-line EPs, but just a set of decent Plossls. Only when I got annoyed with their shortcomings did I upgrade.

Couldn't agree more (as does my bank account). I also think there's something fun about starting from the bottom and working up. Like dating- sometimes you have to chuck through some BA1's before finding your BA8  :wink: (kidding..kind of)

Age may not be a problem (depending on how the optics have faired). Start a new thread in the "Equipment" section and specify the model and I'm sure someone will be able to offer advice. If you cannot find the model, then a photo would probably enable some direction.

Hopefully there's something that can be done with it. I'll definitely post in that section, thanks!

Greetings! I am currently in the same boat as shelby90 on deciding what to get for a first time binocular purchase but as a gift for a family member who likes to star gaze and a pair for me too. I am still not able to zero in on any bins yet. Can you please help me out?

Requirements for Bin (Gift to a family member)

- Age 50+ (So Ideal exit pupil for him would be 5mm?)

- Lightweight (preferably under 800g)

- Price: $250

Couldn't agree more (as does my bank account). I also think there's something fun about starting from the bottom and working up. Like dating- sometimes you have to chuck through some BA1's before finding your BA8  :wink: (kidding..kind of)

Hopefully there's something that can be done with it. I'll definitely post in that section, thanks!

Congrats on getting your bins! I am trying to purchase my first binoculars and your questions/discussions helped! I have to start shortlisting based on feed backs and hopefully find a store near me to try them out!

Congrats on getting your bins! I am trying to purchase my first binoculars and your questions/discussions helped! I have to start shortlisting based on feed backs and hopefully find a store near me to try them out!

Thanks! Glad the thread has helped you. It certainly helped me and getting advice from the knowledgeable folks here has been great. All I could say with the very limited experience I have with my binoculars so far is that I love them. I do also think they are big and there's no way I can really keep them steady enough to look at the Moon, but the tripod I have is great for that. Hope you're able to get some good advice and find the right bins!

Hi Shelby 90, Glad you got the Binoculars and they are excellent for astronomy, will show many of the star clusters and and some of the brighter ones and some of the brighter nebula like the Orion nebula and Pleiades and the Andromeda Galaxy and much more and also will show many variable and  double stars and good for comets also and the brighter satellites and the moon  and some details on the moon and it's craters. You won't regret it and would highly recommend the 15x70s later on though but a telescope would be a great purchase for the future and will give you hours of enjoyment and seeing the planets and great views of Jupiter and Saturn especially and some of the brighter moons. Keep us all informed on how you get on with the binoculars and feel free to post anything or if you have any questions on anything.  Good Luck    Matt  from Torquay in Devon England!  :cool:

Matt, thanks for the well wishes. I love looking at the Moon, it's fantastic. And I can't wait for the eclipse this weekend- it's going to be so great  :grin:  I also got a glimpse of Saturn, although all I could make out was an oval shape and a bit of color. Stellarium has been a great tool, also. Now I'm trying to figure out a comfortable seating arrangement. Your picture looks like a nice set-up.

Archived