sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Star diffraciton spike software

hi all

I'm heading to a star party soon and i got my friend a star named after her for her birthday, as I've said ill try and get a picture of it i was thinking the best way for her to always know which star it is was to add some diffraction spikes to it.

however i haven't a clue how to do it, so does anyone know any software that can do it?

note i don't have photoshop so plug ins won't really work

any help would be brilliant, id hate to let her down.

thanks

chris 

If you are going to take the picture then put a cross, made of two pieces of string, over the end of your scope.  Take the picture and the diffraction spikes will be there.  The brighter stars will give the most easily visible spikes.

Do you only want the one star with diffraction spikes? The string technique will add it to all stars. You'd have to take two images one with the string and one without and blend them.

I am sure someone can put some spikes on the star specified if you had just a single image with no spikes.

If you can capture the image, I will happily add the spikes to a specific star for you using StarSpikes Pro from Noel Carboni. However, your friend's nominated star may be very dim which could be problematic!

Here is a down and dirty example:-

post-1029-0-13559300-1442441685.png

• Like 4

If you can capture the image, I will happily add the spikes to a specific star for you using StarSpikes Pro from Noel Carboni. However, your friend's nominated star may be very dim which could be problematic!

Here is a down and dirty example:-

attachicon.gifspikes.png

she didn't give me the info of the location of the star in time for me to get any pictures, but if i do eventually manage to get a picture would you mind if i drop you a message so you can sort it for me? it would be a massive help

thanks

chris