Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WARNING - from kelling heath 2015

OneEyedSam

It may be an idea to leave only certain parts open to be read unless a member. I realise that it will stop some from becoming members as they cannot assess whether or not they want to join. Possibly self defeating!

Derek

Yes, we could make the star party section a members-only section, but we can't stop people posting about their kit in other sections... And we certainly can't police everywhere to warn people they are posting in an open section. It's not feasible.

That said, I'll take the suggestion downstairs and discuss with the others - it's a simple change, but is it the right change?

As for the sticky, we'll create one and put it in the appropriate place.

This is indeed disturbing news. I am guilty of wandering off and leaving my camera on view during day times, let alone during the night! 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we could make the star party section a members-only section, but we can't stop people posting about their kit in other sections... And we certainly can't police everywhere to warn people they are posting in an open section. It's not feasible.

That said, I'll take the suggestion downstairs and discuss with the others - it's a simple change, but is it the right change?

As for the sticky, we'll create one and put it in the appropriate place.

Thanks, I remeber when the todmorden place was broken into a few years back, an alert went out on ABS.   I think topic here that poeple can "follow" would be good to alert people.

At the end of the day, we cant keep the value fo astro kit a secret.  We just need to make sure we watch each others backs, get insured and take sensible precautions.

As Red Dwalf can verify, as a bit of a joke this year I purchased a USB infrared and daytime dome camera that plugs via a usb lead (5m) directly into a laptop. This in turn I velcroed to the front of my tent  giving me a good day and night time image of my scope and the front of my pitch.

It was intended for me to keep an eye on my gear and a couple of others set up around my pitch while I'm in a tent and not able to view the scope slewing etc . It was a bit of a joke the usual people giving me the bird etc, but it did enable me to keep an eye on my gear and a couple of the guys set up around.

It was really bought as in the dark last year a couple of well oiled people ( they will remain nameless) nearly walked into my rig and with expensive optics and cameras in the offing the last thing i need is damaged goods.

I was checking a few subs about 3 in the morning when I spied someone outside my tent i called out as I wasn't sure who he was and it turned out that the person was just looking for someone around for a chat so we did, I would of missed him not for the camera

I know this is not the real way that star parties should go but these cheap £28.00 cameras could assist if someone is mooching around ( you can set your laptop to record nice bit of software too ) 

You can harden an item against theft but you can never make an item theft proof.

Theft is dishonestly depriving the owner permanently.

I find a fiver in a crowded market and shout who's lost a fiver, or do i stick it in my pocket and shut up.

Lens caps were found and also anonymous enough to be picked up, i'll take these back in the morning, but get forgotten in the thrill of 891 etc.

Most thefts are opportunist, like the bag of camera equipment.

We have a running joke about long term borrowing and ownership. If i borrow an eyepice from you for so long you forget its yours or i assume ownership as you never ask for it, who owns the eyepiece?

Within any spectrum of society there are always those whose ethics/values allow them to acquire without payment. High value stuff implies the theft was deliberate for gain or avarice low value is daft. None of us are so poor that a planisphere is an attractive target, this is far more likely to be a kid, who has seen one and wants one. My neighbours son was locked out and had no where else to go so knocke on my door. I sit him in front of the telly until mum gets home. Only over the next few days i see that some of my x box games are missing. I quietly ask the neighbour if the boy has my games. Luckily she has spotted the new acquisition. Avarice and low ethics and this game is now mine.

Kelling always has a few newbies, a couple of hundred new scope versus some of our kit and avarice plus our trust plus a loose definition of theft and gone. Its always been down to us to watch out for our kit. Nightime was always a burgulars shift and we just leave all those goodies out for anyone to take. I would rather trust everyone than sit fretting hawkishly wondering if my friends were T-Leaves.

Simple really dont make it easy.

I probably have more reason to be paranoid about theft than anyone at Kelling, however I still bring my kit along in the hope of sharing it with as many visitors as possible. In the light of the current disappointing news I will certainly be a little more careful, specially with small items. :sad:

This is very disappointing to read.

However on the opposite side.  I found some-one's DSLR camera lens cap it appeared on my imaging seat, no idea how it got there.  Asked a few people beside me but no-one knew who it belonged to.

It's the type which you squeeze to get on and off.  No brand name on it.  So if any-one is missing one give me a shout.

Carole 

@happykat,

Its easy to create an id, if you also look at the post logs there are large numbers of id's with no posts or just one post. I do know of one insurance company who would not pay out as the owner had all their kit in the signature. My sginature is as bland as it gets but have posts with the kit pictured???

It is saddening that an event like this attracts such interest from a section of society but just look at all the kit on view!. I don't know if there is a soultion bar nametags for all and being suspicious about other folk, but that goes against the grain of what an open and friendly lot astronomers are.

Archived