Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What New 2" EP?

g33x0r

Current setup: 

Orion Skyquest XT8

- 8"(200mm) Dobsonian, 1200mm FL, F6

- 25mm 1.25" EP, 3x Barlow 1.25"

So this scope comes with a native housing for 2" EPs, but came with an adapter to 1.25" and the 25mm EP mentioned above.  I want to grab something with a wider field of view, as manual tracking especially at the highest magnification I have now (144x with the Barlow) is a pain with the narrower view.  I can view planets well enough with what I have now, I haven't really been able to see any DSO.  Not for lack of trying, part of it is my star hopping ability sucks and the other part is possibly light pollution but it's not too shabby where I'm at.  So any ways, I'm looking for some new 2" EPs and here's what I'm looking for, can someone recommend?

- wider field of view than what I have now (I assume that's a given going from 1.25" to 2" but still)

-  I have $300 to spend

- I want something that would be better for DSO over planets.  

- I'm not sure what focal length EP to go for based on the above.

- Will the 2" EPs view DSO better than 1.25" in the same lighting conditions?

Hi there,

There are lots of good 2" eyepiece options for your scope and suggestions will probably come thick and fast soon.

I just feel I need to mention though that, while a 2" eyepiece does give a wider field of view than a 1.25" one, they are not made of magic glass so don't show deep sky objects any better than 1.25" eyepieces. The wider field is the principle benefit.

28mm-32mm is a good focal length range for a wide field 2" eyepiece because you see lots of sky but also the exit pupil, that is the bundle of light that comes out of the eyepiece, remains an effective size for your eye to handle and considering that you have some light pollution.

For your budget Explore Scientific offers some wide and ultra wide eyepieces which offer very good performance for the money spent.

See what others suggest as well !

The 17 and 22 mm Type 4 Naglers are great, but maybe the 24mm MaxVision 82 deg should be considered too. That should give a lot of bang for buck

http://www.explorescientific.de/Explore-Scientific-Maxvision-82-Okular-24mm.html

That would even allow funding the 18mm (1.25")

http://www.explorescientific.de/Okulare/Explore-Scientific-Maxvision-82-Okular-18mm.html

The Type 4 Nagler will have more eye relief (important if you wear glasses while observing)

Archived