Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sept. 18th Observing Meet

L8-Nite

The next observing session at Blaenavon is scheduled for Friday September 18th, with Saturday the 19th as an alternate. 

The observing site is located at the paved " Fox Hunter " car park, which is located next to the radio towers just north east of town.

The coordinates are.......

On Google Earth:  51*  47'  25.74" N  by  -3*  4'  10.74" W

On Google Maps:  51.79053,  -3.069705

Present forecasts show a fair chance of clear skies for us on Friday, so check this thread for updates during the week, and on the day, in the afternoon, to see if  the meet is a " GO  or a  NO - GO " pursuant to the weather.  Hopefully the string of bad weather will break soon and clear skies are headed our way. It will be nice to catch up with familiar faces once again, and also meet other SGL members interested in observing with us.

Cheers All !  

Relocating my eldest daughter from Oxford back to Wales whilst at the same time moving the other back one up to University in Uxbridge - looking forward to getting this week done and dusted so can return to normality.

I've good intentions but its not happening just yet

have a good one folks

I am aiming to be there about 8 if not sooner. Will check the forum before setting off just in case there is a change in the local weather.

Anytime now, Stuart should be posting a local update.  I'll be checking for changes up until the point I leave, which is around 7 to arrive at about 8:pm. Its a long drive for many of us, so a last minute update is always a good thing.  

Latest forecasts look poor until midnight.  I'm going to say..... if you live close by it would be worth the trip later this evening, and if you have to travel far, its an individual judgement call.

For me, living over 35 miles away, I'm going to give it a miss for tonight and see what Saturday has in store for us. Whatever is decided, I hope everyone enjoys the evening, home or at the site.

Cheers.

Mike, sounds like a good call to me. I will look forward to heading out there for the next meet. Unfortunately, I have other commitments tomorrow so won't be able to attend. Hope the skies are more kind tomorrow. If it clears up here, I may have a post midnight session from the back garden.

DAVE.

Thanks for the update Stuart.  I've got a thermos of coffee and some donuts to keep me company, so it isn't all bad in my neck of the woods; skies are patchy here.  

Hope you get some clear skies later tonight as predicted. Let us know if the forecasters were correct so we can gage our trust in them for a possible Meet tomorrow evening.

Cheers. 

The Saturday forecasts for tonight show a varying degree of cloudiness with poor seeing through the night.   

Early call, tonight's possible meet is a " NO - GO ".  :sad:

A total Lunar Eclipse will be occurring next week in the early hours of of Sept. 28th. The last one my Wife & I observed was while we were in California, and it was spectacular to say the least, so mark your calendar's for this one. 

Edit: Unless someone posts a query for a short notice observing session, our next Meet will be the " South Wales Group Star Party "  in mid October.  

Details can be found on the related thread if anyone is interested in attending.

Archived