SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking for Uranus

rockystar

Hi,

I managed to see Uranus once last year, with a 130mm reflector. Although I couldn't see any surface details, I could see a quite definite disk, and a blue-green colour very different from the surrounding stars. I used Stellarium and just star-hopped in my lowest mag, using the vertical and horizontal flip tools to make the view look like what I could see through the eyepiece. It took me about 1 hour to find it (a red dot finder isn't the best for the job!!!) but I think that the freeze was worth it! :rolleyes2:

John

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having an optical finder as well as a red dot type helps a lot with Uranus and Neptune. You can use the red dot to get in the general area, the optical finder to narrow down your "suspect" star and then the eyepiece in the main scope should confirm whether or not you have got the planet :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

I think seeing Uranus for the first time was one of the best telescope observations I've had, I could not believe you could see it as a blue/greenish disc. I had a good night a few weeks ago where I got a good viewing of both Uranus and Neptune on the same night. It does help when they are near some other stars which you can hop from. I tried again a few nights later and could not find Uranus as it had moved away from any handy stars.

• 1 month later...

I think seeing Uranus for the first time was one of the best telescope observations I've had, I could not believe you could see it as a blue/greenish disc. I had a good night a few weeks ago where I got a good viewing of both Uranus and Neptune on the same night. It does help when they are near some other stars which you can hop from. I tried again a few nights later and could not find Uranus as it had moved away from any handy stars.

Have to agree, seeing Uranus for the first time last night it was some thing special. It was very, very small even at 200x in my Europa but could easily make out the greenish color to it.

How did you find the view in your Europa?

I always look for Uranus at least a few times each year.

It always amazes me how easy it is to see the planet disk even with a small scope.

Here are actual finder charts:-

http://freestarcharts.com/images/Articles/Month/Jan2016/Planets/Uranus/Uranus_Jan2016_Finder_Chart.pdf

http://freestarcharts.com/19-news-and-current-events/472-the-planets-this-month-january-2016

Archived