Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Connecting a Skywatcher Skyliner Synscan to a Mac Pro

I am trying to connect my Skyliner 300p telescope SynScan hand control to my Mac pro via rj11 to serial connecter female to serial connector male to usb port (similar cable as attached picture).

So far I cannot connect even though downloading the following software......

• HL-340 / CH-340 / CH-341 Driver (V2.0.0)

• PL-2303 Driver

Two days in with no success so any help most welcome Thanks in advance....

post-44441-0-36358000-1442140695.gif

I found with my mac book air it wouldn't connect using eqmod (using parallels) but I had better luck using EQMAC. Although eventually I rebuilt my machine using a bootcamp partition as all of my other bits (cameras, filters etc) run natively on windows. It can be done natively on a Mac built to do so is beyond me.

I found with my mac book air it wouldn't connect using eqmod (using parallels) but I had better luck using EQMAC. Although eventually I rebuilt my machine using a bootcamp partition as all of my other bits (cameras, filters etc) run natively on windows. It can be done natively on a Mac built to do so is beyond me.

Hi,  I'm not familiar with 'eqmod (using parallels)' and 'EQMAC'.  Can you expend on that for me as a beginner please ?

thanks

Getting anything to run on a Mac in regards to astronomy software/hardware is a challenge! Took me 2 days to get my CCD to function. Even with parallels I still get lots of problems. Windows machine is very much on the Christmas list! Although I cannot help you with your current issues I do feel your pain! Hope you get things sorted :) 

Hi Essex person... from an ex-Essex person.

Here is a direct link for EQMAC : -

http://eqmac.hulse.id.au/

I don't use it myself so can't vouch for how well it works... I use EQMOD which is the original Windows version.

When using this type of connection under EQMOD you would need to place the handset in PC-DIRECT mode... I don't know if the same applies under EQMAC.

Which software are you using to control your scope with?

You may be better off installing windows on a virtual drive and using EQMOD and the ASCOM platform since most astro software supports this.

Good luck and clear skies.

Sandy. :grin:

You're definitely talking about connecting the handset here, as opposed to connecting to the control electronics on the mount?

I'm not sure EQMAC would be useful.  I don't know if it supports alt-az style mounts at all.

The fact that you've installed both the CH-340 and PL2302 drivers seems odd to me.  They're for completely different USB<->serial converters.  Are you unsure which one is in the converter you have?

Once you have it connected, what's the eventual plan with this?

James

Hi, thanks for all your replies.  

It really looks like a can of worms but frustratingly interesting.      I am trying to connect direct to the SynScan handset V4 I think and I am using Stellarium...

I'm lost with the drivers. I was clutching at straws and may have followed the wrong guidance re: USBSerial drivers for a MAC.  

Which drivers you need, if any, depend on which chipset is in the USB<->serial interface.  If you're not sure it's possible that you can find out by going to the hardware section of the system information and displaying all the stuff there about USB devices.  I have no idea what it will say, but hopefully you can work out which one it is.

James

Which drivers you need, if any, depend on which chipset is in the USB<->serial interface.  If you're not sure it's possible that you can find out by going to the hardware section of the system information and displaying all the stuff there about USB devices.  I have no idea what it will say, but hopefully you can work out which one it is.

James

Hi James,

I have looked and I'm getting the following...  I guess the next steps is to find out how to configure the device whack I guess is referring to the USBSerial cable?

USB2.0-Ser!:

Product ID: 0x7523

Vendor ID: 0x1a86

Version: 2.54

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0x14500000 / 9

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

Well, 1a86:7523 is apparently a QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter, so it does look at least like you have the correct driver installed though something doesn't appear to be making a very good job of recognising the device.

Where did you download the HL-340 driver from?

James

Well, 1a86:7523 is apparently a QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter, so it does look at least like you have the correct driver installed though something doesn't appear to be making a very good job of recognising the device.

Where did you download the HL-340 driver from?

James

Hi James,  I downloaded the driver from www.plugable.com

An alternative MAC driver source is here: -

https://www.mac-usb-serial.com/

It may be a better source even if the driver version is the same, some download sites can be corrupted or damaged in some way, so It could be worth installing from here... delete the existing driver first.

You may need to set the Baud Rate and Data bit pattern to suit Stellarium before you can get control... check the Stellarium help files.

Sandy. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The serial port should be set to 9600 no parity and one stop bit - this is the only setting that will allow connection to  the handset.

I use a USB to Serial cable which uses the PL2303 chip - this seems to be the most reliable (and recommended) type.

I might have a spare cable - PM me if you need one and I'll check by Astro Bits box.

I use a Macbook Pro USB 2.0  (2009) and a  Macbook Air USB 3.0 (2013) with no problems - although I now use EQMAC as I have an HEQ5.

You do not need EQMAC to connect the mount to Stellarium - in fact EQMAC only works with Skywatcher EQ mounts and does not support the AZ mounts.

Clear skies

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi

The serial port should be set to 9600 no parity and one stop bit - this is the only setting that will allow connection to  the handset.

I use a USB to Serial cable which uses the PL2303 chip - this seems to be the most reliable (and recommended) type.

I might have a spare cable - PM me if you need one and I'll check by Astro Bits box.

I use a Macbook Pro USB 2.0  (2009) and a  Macbook Air USB 3.0 (2013) with no problems - although I now use EQMAC as I have an HEQ5.

You do not need EQMAC to connect the mount to Stellarium - in fact EQMAC only works with Skywatcher EQ mounts and does not support the AZ mounts.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for advice I've only just read it..  

I bought a cable from Maplins with the PL2303 chip and now my Mac Pro can see the scope in the configuration window...     The only problem I'm working on now is that the when clicking on an object on Stellarium the Mac will not move the telescope.

Any ideas or pointers please?

thanks

Archived