Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 60D or 7D - Which is Better for Astrophotography?

Scorpius

First of all, I'm not hell-bent on buying a DSLR at the moment but have been poking around on the web & found one of each used on US ebay for what seems like a good price. So even though a DSLR isn't at the top of my priority list right now, just wondered if either of these are being sold at a price that's too good to pass up. If so, and one of my fellow stargazers here on SGL grab one or both before I make a decision then - Good For You! - because you probably know way more about DSLR's than I do and could make better use of them anyway.  :smiley:

The 60D has a 9,800 shutter count and seems to be in much better cosmetic shape than the 7D which has a 71,945 shutter count.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIP-Canon-EOS-60D-18MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-BODY-ONLY-10k-shutter-count-/151813562559?hash=item2358cb20bf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-7D-18-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-BODY-ONLY-NO-CHARGER-/171929106893?hash=item2807c5f9cd

Supposing things work out & I decide to pull the trigger on one of these cameras - which would be better for astrophotography (both modded & unmodded)? Based on what I've read the 60D exibits lower noise than the 7D making it more suitable but maybe my research is wrong. The only real complaint I've heard about the 60D is the lack of a tilting screen but I've haven't researched the 7D very much at all.

What I'm after is a wider FOV for imaging but the only wide field scope I own right now is an f/6 Explore Scienific 80 mm ED triplet. I know the 60D is a full-frame sensor (not sure about the 7D) so could my small refractor even illuminate the whole chip? If not, it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker - since I hope to own a larger aperture frac at some point down the road - so just want to know if my 80mm OTA is far too small to benefit from a full-frame sensor at all.

If I take the DSLR plunge, it will be a huge learning curve since I have no experience with digital cameras other than your run-of-the-mill point & shoot for daytime photography. So I'll be asking a bunch of questions here on SGL - and I know lots of good advice will be generously offered...  :smiley:

Cheers,

Scorpius

P.S. Check out my build thread if you get a chance... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/247778-windy-knoll-observatory-my-build-thread/

I think some of your information is incorrect the 60D has a crop sensor and a flip out screen if it was me I would choose the 60D over the original 7D for astro or perhaps even the newer 650/700/750D versions.

Camera noise is linked to the sensor and the version of the digic processor used so the 60D should be better.

Alan

The 60D is not full frame, it's APS-C and it does have an articulated screen. You can see it in the link you posted. I don't know if it has lower noise than the 7D, but I had one (sold it for about the same money and condition as the one in the link) and it's a good camera. Out of the two in the links I would take the 60D, firstly it has much lower shutter count and secondly having the 7D won't take better astro photos.

I reckon the 60D is the better camera for astro use. They both have the same size chip so will give the same field of view but the flippy screen of the 60D is a definite advantage if you want to keep to a simple rig. If you are always going to shoot tethered to a lap top then it doesn't much matter but the 60D is still lighter.

Ok thanks to all & not sure how I got confused about the sensor size but definitely appreciate that you pointed it out.

So with the smaller APS-C sensor would that be a better fit for my 80mm frac? My Orion G3 CCD has a much smaller chip so I was hoping to capture some of the larger DSO's and some of the others surrounded by more stars.

Basically, this would be my first attempt at imaging with a DSLR so don't want to spend a lot of money or buy something that's not a good fit for my current gear.

Also - something I forgot to ask before - would the 60D be a camera worth the cost of modding in order to increase its effectiveness for astrophotography?

You will likely need a flatner/reducer to get nice stars at the edges but a DSLR works well with an ED80. It gives a lovely filed of view that is good for getting DSOs in context. It's not wide enough for really big nebulae and not long enough focal length for close up galaxies but a very useful middle ground to get you started.

Yes, the 60D is well worth getting modded. You don't need a high spec DSLR for astrophotography as the way you use it is completely different from daytime photography. I use a 7D mark II for daytime photography as there is lots of light to make use of the 20 million small pixels. I use a 1000D for astro because its bigger pixels each collect more light and give me a low noise image after stacking with less computer power needed to process the files. The 1000D seems to give me better star colour as well.

You will likely need a flatner/reducer to get nice stars at the edges but a DSLR works well with an ED80. It gives a lovely filed of view that is good for getting DSOs in context. It's not wide enough for really big nebulae and not long enough focal length for close up galaxies but a very useful middle ground to get you started.

Yes, the 60D is well worth getting modded. You don't need a high spec DSLR for astrophotography as the way you use it is completely different from daytime photography. I use a 7D mark II for daytime photography as there is lots of light to make use of the 20 million small pixels. I use a 1000D for astro because its bigger pixels each collect more light and give me a low noise image after stacking with less computer power needed to process the files. The 1000D seems to give me better star colour as well.

Ok thanks, that helps a lot. Pretty sure ES makes a flattner for my scope so could probably get one after my wallet recovers from this purchase. :)

Don't mean to put you on the spot but do you think the 60D in the link is a good deal based on its stated condition?

I would agree with Rik if its as advertised then a good deal the flip out screen is so useful with refractors.

Alan

Awesome - I think I'm going to go for it. As you said - if it's as advertised - which is always a concern with used items on ebay. It looks like the seller is reputable though with 100% positive feedback and if there's a problem there's always the ebay money back gurantee to fall back on - although I've never needed to find out how good of a guarantee it really is. Thanks again for the info & advice...  :smiley:

Seems like a good price for a low shutter count camera body in good condition. For reference, over here in the UK, they go for about £340 GBP from a reputable dealer of used camera equipment.

Your responses have been very helpful & I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Just one more question then I'm going to see if it's still available and make the purchase if it is. You mentioned a flattner/reducer would probably be necessary to get good stars at the edges. ES sells this field flattner http://explorescientificusa.com/products/2-field-flattener-lens-for-ed-apo-s?variant=625983269 but it doesn't say anything about it also being a reducer. Are they two separate devices or can you get a one device that performs both functions? It doesn't look like ES offers such a thing but maybe one from another manufacturer would work?

Thanks again for the help!  :icon_salut:

Awesome - I think I'm going to go for it. As you said - if it's as advertised - which is always a concern with used items on ebay. It looks like the seller is reputable though with 100% positive feedback and if there's a problem there's always the ebay money back gurantee to fall back on - although I've never needed to find out how good of a guarantee it really is. Thanks again for the info & advice...  :smiley:

Your responses have been very helpful & I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Just one more question then I'm going to see if it's still available and make the purchase if it is. You mentioned a flattner/reducer would probably be necessary to get good stars at the edges. ES sells this field flattner http://explorescientificusa.com/products/2-field-flattener-lens-for-ed-apo-s?variant=625983269 but it doesn't say anything about it also being a reducer. Are they two separate devices or can you get a one device that performs both functions? It doesn't look like ES offers such a thing but maybe one from another manufacturer would work?

Thanks again for the help!  :icon_salut:

I am afraid I don't know the ES scopes and accessories. You can get individual flatteners, individual reducers and combination products. You likely need a flattener to get good star shapes across the entire image. A reducer on its own will be of little value but a flattener& reducer will give good star shapes, a wider field of view and a faster focal ratio so reduced exposure times or more depth to your images depending how you look at it.

As a bonus the 60D has true movie crop mode and 60fps great for Solar and planetary. Examples of images in my link below.

Well - The deed is done! Expected delivery Sept. 22 - 29 so guess I better get busy reading up on how to take astrophotos with a DSLR. Sounds like I'll be needing a field flattner as well and won't a manual release be a necessity too? I'm sure there will be other add-ons to consider (seems like that's always the case with this hobby) but with a field flattner and a manual release - will that be enough to get me started with a view toward getting it modded (or maybe even trying it myself) at some point down the road?

Looks like I'm now a member of the DSLR crowd which means I won't need to speak in defense of the G3's puny sensor any more...  :grin:

P.S. When I clicked on your link I got a webpage not available message?

Well - The deed is done! Expected delivery Sept. 22 - 29 so guess I better get busy reading up on how to take astrophotos with a DSLR. Sounds like I'll be needing a field flattner as well and won't a manual release be a necessity too? I'm sure there will be other add-ons to consider (seems like that's always the case with this hobby) but with a field flattner and a manual release - will that be enough to get me started with a view toward getting it modded (or maybe even trying it myself) at some point down the road?

Looks like I'm now a member of the DSLR crowd which means I won't need to speak in defense of the G3's puny sensor any more...  :grin:

P.S. When I clicked on your link I got a webpage not available message?

Thanks for letting me know. Should be fixed now.

I'm sat in the obsy imaging with the 60D on my Altair 4" frac right now using the standard Canon EOS utilities software and PHD2 guiding.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well all I can say is you are the man! Just started building my obsy and only have a 3" scope - but maybe someday soon my time will come...

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/247778-windy-knoll-observatory-my-build-thread/ :smiley:

I think some of your information is incorrect the 60D has a crop sensor and a flip out screen

The 60D is not full frame, it's APS-C and it does have an articulated screen.

They both have the same size chip so will give the same field of view but the flippy screen of the 60D is a definite advantage if you want to keep to a simple rig.

Turns out my confusion over sensor size and screen articulation was due to the model number. I thought I was looking at the 6D when it was actually the 60D that was up for sale on ebay. As mentioned earlier, I went ahead and purchased the 60D for what appears to be a fair price based on its advertised condition and just wanted to say thanks again to all for your excellent advice...  :smiley:

Archived