SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pacman in Narrow Band

davedownsouth

Thought I would share my first attempt at the Pacman Nebula (NGC281) using some Badder Narrow band filters in my Atik One 6.0 / Esprit 120ED.  Over two nights, I first took 12 x 10 minutes guided shots at 1x1 binned with both the Ha and OIII filter (i.e., 4 hours total exposure) and put them together using PI with Ha mapped to red and OIII to both Green and Blue.  This gave this image:-

Pacman%20bicolour%20final_zpshe0hblm8.jp

On the following night I then took 12 x 10 minutes guided shots at 1x1 binned with the SII filter.  I then put all the shots together using PI, this time with SII to red, Ha to green and OIII to blue (6 hours total exposure).  This gave this image:-

Pacman%20tricolour%20final_zpscuru0yqj.j

I think for the bicolour one, I have over stretched it a bit, which I do not like, and although I prefer the tricolour, I can not help but think that it should be red rather than green, which is of course what is going to happen if Ha is mapped to green rather than red?? 

All comments, particuarly critical ones on how I could improve things (I have a very think skin) welcomed.

DDS :)

Great stuff Dave,

the Hubble version at the bottom just needs some further processing steps to achieve the Hubble colours, you need to turn those greens to golds and cyans. If you are using Pixinsight then give it a dose of SCNR set to green and then just tweak the saturation after. Or in photoshop you can use selective colour to do the same thing. Bob Franke has a good tutorial here - http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm

Great stuff Dave,

the Hubble version at the bottom just needs some further processing steps to achieve the Hubble colours, you need to turn those greens to golds and cyans. If you are using Pixinsight then give it a dose of SCNR set to green and then just tweak the saturation after. Or in photoshop you can use selective colour to do the same thing. Bob Franke has a good tutorial here - http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm

Hi John, massive thanks for the tip on the SCNR, applied it and this is what I got; much more like what I was hoping for  :)

Pacman%20tricolour%20final%20scnr%20appl

Archived