SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anonymous galaxies

mdstuart

Good evening

I have been looking out galaxies that do not have a messier or NGC reference..So last night it went surprisingly clear after a hazy start to the evening.

I had a good tour around some of those run of the mill NGC galaxies :grin:  NGC 7514 / NGC 7539 / NGC 7628 / NGC 7800

But for me the two highlights were the two funky named UGC 12591 and UGC 12515 both in Pegasus.

UGC 12591

So 12591 ...it was a faint extended glow which I could nearly hold with direct vision in my 16 inch trusty dob..

Here is a picture of it from the interweb thing....I think you will agree its a fine object. Reminds me of that bright galaxy in the bottom left of the Pegasus square...7814

post-1454-0-35228500-1441997779.jpg

Well it turns out my random observation turns out to be quite a special galaxy.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1986ApJ...301L...7G

It is spinning faster than any other galaxy....

It seems though it is only the second heaviest galaxy known.

http://www.eso.org/public/unitedkingdom/news/eso0041/

It is just under mag 14 so quite a tough one to spot but well worth hunting out.

UGC 12515

This one was a surprise observation. I was looking at NGC 7628 and then I noticed a galaxy on the chart right next to star nearby and I could not make out the name other than it was not an NGC. So why not...nudge the dob and..WOW lovely just like a faint version of NGC 404 that ghost galaxy in Andromeda.....Its a circular glow near a bright field star....the field star in pics is even Orange just like 404....so nice...

Here is a pic from the internet.

post-1454-0-21885900-1441998196.jpg

Ok so its not the heaviest galaxy or anything special like that....It is near an x ray source but other than that it really is anonymous.

Again at mag 14 its quite a tough one. Even Owen B at the Webb Society would be impressed with these observations?

Clear skies all.

Mark

Great haul, Mark. You might be interested in the Webb Society handbook of Anonymous Galaxies, volume 6 of their series. Old and out of print but easily available and well worth having. No dramatic photos but lots of target descriptions. There must be someone out there who has worked their way through the entire "Webb list".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Webb-Society-Deep-Observers-Handbook/dp/0894901338/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VCQ392GV7DS1M3CN6Y2&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR238%2C320_

High quality report as usual Mark! I have been meaning to look up these galaxies since reading this and have now had the chance... your obs are excellent. What is the faintest you've seen with the new scope/coatings? I never realized there was a galaxy cluster in the Square around this area... Me and my 10" have a hard time in Pegasus.

Gerry

Basically I can now see galaxies which have a surface brightness below mag 14 and stars that are below about mag 14.5. There are a lot of galaxies in Pegasus.. The best include NGC 7331 and its friends and the Stephens quintet but I also like the car lights 7626 / 7619 and the galaxies around them. Of course 7479 (C44) is an interesting one..7332/9 are an interesting contrasting pair..7814 in the bottom left of the square is a nice bright one as well...so many!

Mark

I don't want to hijack this thread and your great observing on those faint UGC's Mark- but thanks for the advice- I am watching a few of that cluster right now- the Car Lights and another that forms a triangle with it- and one next to a very close star to these. Off to go get some more...

Archived