Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light Altair Astro 8RC + AT2FF + Nikon D750 full frame

rofus

Hi all,

after selling all my refractors to move to more serious RC one, about two months spent on a AT6RC and learning the hard way towards collimation with a full frame DSLR chip (35.9mm x 24mm), Glatter Laser and Astro Tech 2" 1x Field Flattener were the tools that eventually lead me to be able to use 95% of my full frame 24mpx Nikon (!).

So I got the 8" bigger brother, and last night after a quick setup (still not 100% perfect) first light on a nice core of M31. Was supposed to be just a test, 4 subs of 300s at 800iso, not perfect guiding, but the result is so good for a quick test that I did a quick production in Pixinsight (just bias without darks/flats) and the result is by far the best test I ever did with any new scope (this is a 25% zoom in...is a 6k+ pixels wide image)

Screen-Shot-2015-09-11-at-14.39.48.png

An amazing scope, requiring a lot of work but once you get the experience/skills/tools there's no comparison with anything costing even 4 times or more I think. Going to do soon a proper session for lovely Andromeda.

I thought that the 8" RC was a great scope. Certainly punched above it's weight for the price I reckon. You've proved it too :D

It is an absolute beauty...I never was a big fan of refractors for DSO, while the perfect colours and free of any aberration of the 8RC is just amazing (not talking about great focal length that can be easily reduced with the great CCDT67).

And I'm a big lover of the star spikes..best thing I ever did selling all my refractors and old equipment...this RC8 and the ED80+0.85 reducer for widefield) is all I need :)

Love your images, indeed I've seen only stunning images from this scope..once you get it right, that indeed I admit is a painful process that more than once almost won over me (collimating it for a full frame DSLR was a pain).

You will enjoy the RC8 - I love mine, very solid optics though I did need the extra tip/tilt rings to get the best out of the flat focal plane. The Glatter really helps collimation, with those final tweaks on a star field for confirmation.

Clear skies

You will enjoy the RC8 - I love mine, very solid optics though I did need the extra tip/tilt rings to get the best out of the flat focal plane. The Glatter really helps collimation, with those final tweaks on a star field for confirmation.

Clear skies

Indeed I agree!

Did not have the tilt adapter on the RC6 and it was impossible to get a perfect collimation...now I have it and laser collimation get the scope 80% there, the last damn 15% (not dare to say 20%!) with star test and star field.

I honestly think they should sell those RC always with Glatter, Flattener and Tilt adapter, without those (in particular the last two) you can imagine only with small(ish) cameras.

I'm not sure what all this rafractor bashing is about  :grin: :grin: but you have that RC working well. Nice resolution in the dust lanes.

Even a lowly refractor can at least have a stab at this target: https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-xbvjFDF/0/O/M31%20Outer%20HaloLHE.jpg

To be honest this scope temps me as well so I'm only joking.

Olly

Hey Olly!

Well the bashing for refractors from me is just about few things: they don't do (unless mods) star spikes, they're somehow 'cold' and 'too precise' (not artistic?), and that to have an equally perfect colours it costs way too much (money and weight), and if you add to that aperture (indeed RC is partially obstructed I know but still) and focal length, they're simply different kind of scopes and images obtainable.

Said that, I love your pic! So much detail and nice and sharp wide view! I will get soon an ED80 Gold Tube with its native 0.85x reducer to do widefield (the RC8 goes down to around 1100mm F/5 (ish) with the CCDT67). I'll not be able to pair your one, but I hope to get some decent widefields.

For me simply the Ritchey Chretien and the unique 'character' of images coming out from it just got me...and the work/knowledge needed to make it work properly forces you to know the scope inside out to the point of assembling and disassembling it all, it makes me feel it's more uniquely mine. Try the scope if you can, I'm sure you'll love it and you would produce amazing images from it considering your experience :)

Archived