Hello!

AndrewC

Hello Everyone,

Name is Andrew, 22 from South Shropshire, UK. I am looking at getting into the world of Astronomy. 

Looking for a decent starter scope, price range is about £200-£300, may stretch a bit more. Totally new to this and have no clue where to start. Any tips, ideas or books would be helpful!

Looking at this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-Astronomy-Universe-Environmental-Sciences/dp/1780460252/?tag=astrnow-21

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome,

I'm just going to say what I was told, and read, and got. I did jump in the deep end a little bit with getting into astrophotography, but for visual observing I got a used 200mm dobsonian.

This one: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

It is truly excellent for the money. Then you only need a good eyepiece or two, because the ones that come with the telescope are [removed word]. Start at least with something like these: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-sp-plossl-eyepieces.html

Finally, get a Telrad finder. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

Books are lovely, but honestly, you'll find all the information you need online and importantly on Youtube.

Good luck,

Michael

Hi Andrew and welcome to SGL - A good starting point while you are deciding on a scope is to download a copy of the programme Stellarium here  - This will give you a good starting point once you get up and running to help you find stuff.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Welcome Andrew!

There are a few scopes to choose from within this price range, but the Skywatcher 200P is probably the best buy.  I have heard and read so many positive things about it that I am going to buy one myself very soon.

Regarding books, I would strongly suggest "Turn Left At Orion".  It's £25 from Waterstones, but you may be able to find it cheaper.  When you look inside it, you will understand why it is such a useful book.  No deceptive colour photos - the author has drawn what you will actually see.

Best regards,

Hi and welcome.  Great place to ask questions and get good advice.  I started 3 months ago with a Skywatcher 200p Dob.  It's a great scope.  Also I use binoculars as it amazing what you can see with them.  Good luck

Les

Hi Andrew and welcome. I paid £270 for my Skywatcher 250PX with loads of extras, Telrad, Wixey level gauge, Setting circle, Collameter. So for your money, you should get something your happy with.

But most of all, get yourself some knowledge. Buy some books, download some podcasts, read this forum till your eyes go funny. The more you learn, the more you'll enjoy it. And you WILL enjoy it.

Good luck and clear skies, Tony from Doncaster [emoji437][emoji437][emoji437]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Andrew and welcome to SGL, it is a bewildering World you are about to step into, many have trod the paths before you, so if you will take some advice, before you consider investing in any literature on the subject, just ask the question "what is recommend as a general informative book on the subject" in the Beginners hep and advice section, I am sure you will receive some helpful replies, enjoy the forum :)

Hi Andrew,

The 200p Dob is a great 1st scope and most of the money has been spent on the scope itself rather then the mount, so the views never fail to impress. GoTo mounts are great, but take time to setup. The number of times I've got my GoTo out and the clouds have rolled in before I've finished setting it up are beyond count, whereas I could have had some amazing views with the dob.

Clear skies.

Ian

Archived