Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Wish me luck - doing my very first narrowband imaging with my new mono CCD. Chose the Dumbell Nebula, as I imaged it last night with my DSLR so I can compare the two images. Night is very clear, and the light breeze is keeping the dew away - last night was horribly dewy, I lost the last few SUBs due to the secondary dewing up

• Like 2

Well the sequence has completed - not really enough data, but it was more of a shakedown run to see if everything worked together, and it did. Subs look OK at first glance, stars dont look elongated so tracking seems to have worked. Will try processing tomorrow evening to see what I captured

Hope its going well Nigel.

I'm being a busy bee tonight. Got a couple of hours of the Heart, an hour of the Dumbell and just started a run of subs on M33.

Lets see what tomorrow brings with the stacking and processing! Tim. 

Well this is the end result. I'm quite pleased with it as my first narrowband image from my CCD. I've used the Hubble palette, might go back later and experiment with a different one. Looking at the pixel count, 10 minutes is clearly far too little exposure per sub, however I'm impressed how little colour noise there is even after a strong stretch (especially in SII). I used Photohop CS2 and followed Starizona's guide to clipping adjustment layers - haven't tried anything beyond tweaking levels and curves for each of the three layers and then a final tweak with the colour balance

post-39159-0-79558400-1441993364_thumb.j

• Like 2

Very nice result Nigel. Well done!

I will be interested to see the results in another palette as I generally find the Hubble palette a bit harsh.

Jeremy

Well, I've redone the image in two further palettes. The first one is the HOS palette (Red = H alpha, Green = OIII and Blue = SII), and the second is HOO (so SII not used, which is not such a loss given there isn't very much SII in the Dumbell Nebula). Not sure which one I like most - the HOS one is closest to my DSLR image of M27 from the previous night, but the HOO image slightly edges it for me

post-39159-0-69338300-1442007022_thumb.j

post-39159-0-79123300-1442007057_thumb.j

Yes, I prefer these palettes, Nigel. HOO gets my vote, but it's close.

Go well!

Jeremy