SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan

Ras Elased

Hi guys!!

I've had my heq5 and skywatcher 200 for a few years now and have never owned a synscan, I've got the basic handheld manual controller but was thinking it would be nice to be able to track and use my camera,

My question is, who owns one, is it worth the money and does anyone know of anyone selling one?? Any advice you can give. I was looking on the net and it seems to be around the 300 pounds mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I wanna do AP with DSO's. I don't have a goto, all I have is This

f9a661ab625683ae4173d5f2e4594f71.jpg

There is very little you can do with your current controller and motors if you want to image.  The full synscan upgrade has a new motor board, higher precision stepper motors, and the synscan handset.  You can if you wish use a computer running software with a low cost interface cable to control the mount if you wish, but the handset is more than suitable for aligning the mount and locating targets.

why don't you just add an ST4 port to your existing controller, then you can drive the mount from CTC\Stellarium etc.

You could also build\purchase an AstroEQ interface that interfaces a PC to the motors directly, doing away with the hand set.

why don't you just add an ST4 port to your existing controller, then you can drive the mount from CTC\Stellarium etc.

You could also build\purchase an AstroEQ interface that interfaces a PC to the motors directly, doing away with the hand set.

I thought the upgrade also upgrades the motors themselves.

The only issue with modding the existing mount is that it still has the basic motors and so you won't get the precision you get with the synscan motors when guiding.

However if the OP wishes to try guided imaging then for around  1/3rd the cost of the Synscan upgrade he could get the GPUSB (http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Shoestring.asp?p=0_10_5_0_5_10 ) adapter, ST4 cable and modify the hand controller to connect the lot together. 

The GPUSB basically can be thought of as having four relays that by-pass the RA+ RA- DEC+ and DEC- buttons on the handset.  The software on the PC (PHD for example) is set to ST4 guiding, and when the stars movement is detected, a signal is sent to the corresponding relay that momentarily closes (as if the button was pressed) and thus move the mount.  The actual switching is done electronically, and doesn't actually use relays (otherwise the clicking would drive you mad).  The problem can arrise when the mount is constantly over correcting due to the gearing of the mount, and the software trying to calculate the time it needs to close the connections to move the mount.  Don't get me wrong, the system works, and there are plenty of good images taken using ST4 guiding one anything from an EQ3 - basic HEQ5 mounts, just that IMO using ASCOM and pulse guiding via the handset or an EQDirect cable with the better motors offered in a Synscan upgrade has the capabilityies to give better and consistant results.

The other option is to purchase a secondhand pro sysnscan mount (like the one listed on Astro buy and sell James has pointed out).  They also occasionally pop up in the SGL classifieds, and that's how I upgraded my mount from an EQ5 to HEQ5 synscan for around the same price a few years back.  If you also fit a belt modification it transforms the mount in both accuracy and noise reduction, and well worth the extra £100

Thanks guys for all your comments, thinking about it I'll prob sell my HEQ5 and purchase the pro.

Can anyone suggest any other mounts on the market around the same price as the pro that are worth checking out?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all your comments, thinking about it I'll prob sell my HEQ5 and purchase the pro.

Can anyone suggest any other mounts on the market around the same price as the pro that are worth checking out?

An HEQ5 is up for grabs in the classifieds http://stargazerslounge.com/classifieds/item/6032-heq5-pro/

£425.00

Archived