Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light - North America & Pelican Nebulae

Down in Cornwall for a few days and I've never been jammier with the weather. :) Here's the first light image for my new lens - a Canon 200mm f2.8 L - a quick NA & Pelican.

21082762209_88d5144674_b.jpg

It's about 40 minutes of data in total with the lens wide open, taken using 75 second subs unguided. 30 dark bias but no darks or flats. The star shapes could be better but I'm really pleased with with the detail in the nebulosity. Just a quick process in StarTools and the Canon DPP software. I'd welcome any feedback and constructive criticism.

It's been pointed out to me that the Pelican looks like an elephant and now it's stuck with me, perhaps it's migrating from Europe. If I lean my head to the right I see it as an elephant now, but I can still see the pelican when I lean the other way. :)

Thanks everyone, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this lens. :)

That is excellent for a wide open lens. Stars look good in the corners

It's certainly not bad but I suspect stopping down a little will give the best results, especially if I can guide and take longer subs. I'm experimenting with different settings and sub lengths at the moment.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this lens. :)

It's certainly not bad but I suspect stopping down a little will give the best results, especially if I can guide and take longer subs. I'm experimenting with different settings and sub lengths at the moment.

Nice one, you will love this lens.

I used to stop mine but now mostly run wide open, stars are not to bad as a rule.

Archived