Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Portugal

AlentejoSkies

Hello and thank you for this forum. Only joined today but I've been reading for the last few months as every astronomy question I've had so far seems to have been asked and answered here.

Just finished building my first telescope, a 6 inch f/8 dob from a second-hand mirror set of unknown provenance, and I'm quite happy with the result. What I thought would be a weekend project (I mean, what's so hard about putting two mirrors in a tube?) took me 3 months in the end even with - or pehaps because of - a strong background in physics and optical design. But now I am a telescope owner/maker and the world is good.

Living in rural Southrn Portugal where the sky is fantastic. Nearest streetlight is a few km away...

Douglas

Welcome to SGL. I built my own 6" F/8 36 years ago, and loved it. Still a bit sad I sold it later (to fund the Celestron GP-C8 I still have). Very sharp on planets, and easy on collimation. Some refer to these as APO killers, because they can get VERY close to perfect APO performance with their small central obstruction

Hello and thank you for this forum. Only joined today but I've been reading for the last few months as every astronomy question I've had so far seems to have been asked and answered here.

Just finished building my first telescope, a 6 inch f/8 dob from a second-hand mirror set of unknown provenance, and I'm quite happy with the result. What I thought would be a weekend project (I mean, what's so hard about putting two mirrors in a tube?) took me 3 months in the end even with - or pehaps because of - a strong background in physics and optical design. But now I am a telescope owner/maker and the world is good.

Living in rural Southrn Portugal where the sky is fantastic. Nearest streetlight is a few km away...

Douglas

nice one douglas glad you found us. and welcome to sgl

Archived