Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Magnus_e

KStars INDI Celestron AVX "erratic behaviour"

Hi.

In preperation for a remote box-observatory i have been setting up a pc for telescope controll and more.

I now have Kubuntu working with a ssh tunnel and headless vnc setup.

KStars is installed with all necesarry drivers for my celestron avx, eos 550d and orion autoguider.

Everything starts up in KStars and i have controll over all the exuiptment, except!

The issue.

1. When slewing to an object using the nextstar hc on the mount: Recticle in KStars moves in the same path as the telescope, and ends up at desired target.

2. When slewing to a RA/DEC coordinate in INDI control panel -> Eq.Coordinates: Recticle moves as excpected and ends up on target.

3. When selecting a target in KStars gui, right clicking and selecting slew or track in mounts context menu:

All kinds of craisyness.... The recticle moves erratic. Sometimes to high in the sky, and sometimes down in the ground. At one point i ended with the counterweight bar straight up and the scope pointing more or less at polaris, when telling it to slew to the zenith.

The strange thing is that the recticle in KStars is pointing where the teleskope is pointing. So KStars "knows" that it's not pointing the scope at the target i selected, but it keeps on going. I was thinking it could be some time-site issue, but the t-s is set up in INDI control panel. Using INDI to slew manually, everything works as expected.

Not 100% sure how the sync option works in KStars. Could i have synced to some random place in the sky and "un"calibrated KStars? Don't know how to undo it if that's the case. New to KStars and INDI.

Hope someone can help with this issue.

Magnus.

Hi

Sorry, I can't help with the Kstars but it does sound like one or more settings are out of sync. I can only suggest you double check - especially any lat/long and time settings.

Louise

Hi.

Only thing i have noticed is that KStars sets it's utf ofset to 2h, when my local ofset is 1h + 1h daylight savings.

It does change my nextstar settings to standard time and zone2, instead of daylight saving and zone1.

I have tried setting it back manually, but does not help. I have set the lat/long to my phone's gps readings, so should be good.

I'll try to look more into the sync option in KStars tomorroe. Maby it must be "trained" somehow?

Hi

When I first got my AVX I accidentally entered a wrong time (I think) in the hand controller. I was controlling the mount from a Windows pc via Stellariumscope, Stellarium, Ascom platform + celestron drivers. Even though settings were ok at the PC end, the incorrect ones on the hand controller still made the mount go to the wrong place. I don't recall it being erratic though - it was consistently wrong!

Hope you can sort it!

Louise

Hi Magnus

Have you tried asking Jasem over on the indilib forum - http://www.indilib.org/forum/index.html.I`ve always found him very helpful.

I tried over many months to get my setup to work consistently with Kstars/Indi, worked perfectly one night and tried the next where nothing had changed and ...nada . Tried many different Linux distro`s too but had to give up in the end as I was spending more time trying to get Indi to work than I was observing. For me at least I found it just too unstable to rely on. Maybe its better now??

regards

Steve

HI. Thanks for the link.

I have made some progress.

At one point it slewed directly to a star after syncing to three stars in the same region.

Now it's not erratic. Seams to be consistently missing by 10deg in dec. Looks like it's about 10deg below when the scope is on the east of the mount, and 10deg above when scope is inn west.

Think it was not erratic to begin with, but trying to go further than 20deg past the meridian, and the hc killed the movement.

Have tried playing with the Meridian setting in the nextstar. Not sure if INDI likes fawor (current/east/west).

I just installed it a few days ago, and have not learned how to use it properly yet, but hopefully i'm making progress

Looks like a powerfull tool with EKOS if i get it working :)

Why are you setting up a ' Kubuntu working with a ssh tunnel and headless vnc setup' ?

I would highly recommend you to get a little Odroid C1 or even a Raspberry Pi 2, install Ubuntu on it and run Indi as a server.

From your local workstation, install the Indi VM http://www.indilib.org/download/category/5-vm.htmland from that you connect to the little server via port 7624 , it will be way easier to manage.

I run this system and my observatory is 450 miles away from me.

check out http://www.indilib.org/support/tutorials/150-painless-remote-control-with-ekos-indi.html .

• Like 1

HI.

I have made som changes to that setup.

I'm just about done installing kstars-bleeding with all debug options on my ubuntu workstation.

From this thread http://www.indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-building-latest-libindi-ekos.html

I am going to set up indi as a server on my older desktop and ssh tunnel 7624 to it. "dont want it to be keyless"

I have a Rasberry PI type B, and i might move the indi server over to it. I am planiing on setting up a file transfer script uploading new images to google drive, dropbox or similar, while the session is ongoing. Not shure how mutch hw i need, but the remote pc is a old dual core pentium.

If i get this working i will reinstall a ubuntu server distro and get rid of all the gui stuff.

No need for a ssh tunnel to be setup really. Go with the simple stuff.

By remote, how remote are we talking here? Across borders or just way back in the garden?

They are easy ways to secure your Linux server, using hosts.allow / deny, change SSH port number to name a few only.

Any old machine will run Linux. Use Jasem's PPA, it's kept up-to-date.

I'm Gonzothegreat on the Indi forum by the way.

Remote is about an hours drive.

I have the remote pc home with me now, and just connected my mount and camera via the indi server to kstars on my workstation trough ssh tunnel. So thats all working.

I did find a post on the indi forum yesterday, that seamed to have fixed similar issues that i have had in the bleeding version. I had originally just installed kstars and not kstars-bleeding.

Think it will a while of testing the software before i start building the "box-obsy", but have high hopes.

I have seen your obsy building thread and know its possible :)

Ordered three 2 channel 230v usb relays on aliexpress on the cheap. Planing to have a way to switch equiptment on and of..

This new setup is much better than what i had yesterday!

KStars and INDI is not fighting anymore. If i select a star and slew, the recticle in kstars actually slews where i told it to.

No recticle missing the target.

Now i can just wait for a day of clear skyes and give it a field test :)

• Like 1

I've spent quite a fair bit of time with the indi_simulator drivers to get my head around the Kstars software. I do use kstars-bleeding.

I'm testing with the AVX and ccd + focuser simulator as remote server now.

I am werry pleased with it so far.

Only issues i have now is that the park position is ofset by -30deg alt. So if i want to park at 1 / 181 - Alt / Az i have to set -29 / 181 as park position.

When i unpark kstars assumes the park position and thinks my scope is pointing -29deg under the horizon.

A quick synk to 1 / 181 and things are ok again.

Also i cannot download content. Catalogs thumbnail and detail images of nebula ++

I downloaded everything manually and loaded the catalogs in configure kstars, but have not figured out how to load the thumbnail and sky images.

All in all minor issues compared to two days ago. I downloaded the general star catalog and have successfulty platesolved and aligned target with indi_simulator_ccd

Parking was a problem for me before on my EQ3-2, it was erratic and never got the same position or when I was unparking the mount it would slew in the opposite direction.

All of this is in the past as I have now an HEQ5 with the EQdir cable.

I was also at the beginning compiling everything, it was a pain as for any new stuff you have to do it again :( 

So I got into the Ekos VM, apt-get update && apt-get upgrade is all I do now on that VM.

And my Odroid-C1 (Raspberry Pi replacement) is set to auto update.

I would advice you to post issues on the Indi forum, I don't think we have many Indi users here at the stargazerslounge forum (but I could be wrong there).

Thanks for the tip.

Feel i have got out of the deep starting pit, but it's still a lot of things to get sortet.

I'll head over to the indi forum now that i have a few defined questions.