Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik Infinity Live Broadcast Tonight 10pm

FLO

Steve Chambers and Rui Tripa are planning a live broadcast from Lisbon to demonstrate the new Atik Infinity camera tonight at 10pm BST!

Weather permitting you should be able to see the camera in action and chat about it live with Steve & Rui (you need a Google login to chat). 

The forecast in Lisbon has been a bit touch and go and there might be some high cloud but even if the weather doesn't co-operate you can still tune in, post questions direct to Steve and Rui, and watch the view as the clouds hopefully break. 

Here's a live Clear Outside weather report for Lisbon, hope it's useful :smile:

forecast.png

Is it supposed to be a comedy show? I mean, you want to demonstrate your nice new camera to the world yet choose to use a POS scope that doesn't point/track and won't focus worth a damn? Is that the best hardware they could find to perform the demo? Maybe it's me but I gave up watching pretty quick. Fairly disappointed because I would like to have seen the limits of what it could achieve (rather than the limits of the scope they're using)/

ChrisH

To be fair, if they used a paramount and C14 with Hyperstar everyone would be saying the camera only performed well because of the hardware.  I enjoyed the show but I watched all of it not just the poor bits and I wonder how good it would actually be with decent hardware.  This camera will do very well and it's exciting times for Video Astronomy  :grin:

I enjoyed it too. It's a great testiment to the camera that it produced some lovely clean detailed shots despite using an SE mount with more than it's fair share of backlash that they were limited to 3 seconds intergration time. 

Some of the shots were better than I can manage with 90sec subs on an EQ mount, so 3 second subs on an AZ is pretty impressive!

The chaos aspect of the broadcast only added to its appeal in my opinion :D 

To be fair, if they used a paramount and C14 with Hyperstar everyone would be saying the camera only performed well because of the hardware.  I enjoyed the show but I watched all of it not just the poor bits and I wonder how good it would actually be with decent hardware.  This camera will do very well and it's exciting times for Video Astronomy  :grin:

Yeah, but that's going to the opposite extreme. Somewhere in the middle would have been nice, and I watched it for about 30mins. I'm really left guessing how well it would perform.

ChrisH

Yes it's true Chris and I think they may have learned that the hard way tonight, time will tell but given the problems they were having some of the images were pretty impressive.  Shame we did not get to see the colour cam in operation but I'm sure that will be next.  Very early days for this I think.

Yes it's true Chris and I think they may have learned that the hard way tonight, time will tell but given the problems they were having some of the images were pretty impressive.  Shame we did not get to see the colour cam in operation but I'm sure that will be next.  Very early days for this I think.

Some nice images with the colour cam available via the Atik website but the issue they had tonight was exactly the same issue they had 2 weeks ago (again, see the Atik website). I'm wondering how this camera differs from, say, a cheap MT9M034M sensor camera (e.g., the Altair GP-CAM at only £135) which will also take multi-second exposures and stack them - and use dark frames as well. I've played with the GP-CAM and been very impressed. So what's on offer at 5x the price?

ChrisH

I really enjoyed the broadcast, shame about the gremlins, but hats off to Atik for putting themselves out there and staying calm. I watched pretty much the whole thing (missed the beginning and end) and would have been happy to carry on watching for another couple of hours. My main comments are:

- The field of view was pretty wide given that it was a C6 at F8, which which makes it more flexible than the tiny sensor and FOV of my Lodestar

- The short exposure times of five seconds or below yielded finished images very quickly giving a very good live feel. The detail also appeared very quickly. I would like to have seen some 30 second exposures on the faint stuff to see what appeared.

- The detail was good, but not stunning. I would have like to have seen more unbinned rather than 2x2 to see the improved resolution over my Lodestar. i would have thought this is where this camera should really score?

Rob

To be honest, its early days.

It would have been better if they got their act together before the start of the broadcast, considering the general sale is only weeks away. Also they have to justify the price tag and from what ive seen you can get the same quality for a lot less, I would guess the sales will be good only because its an Atik.

In an earlier post I said I was excited, somewhat deflated now, maybe the broadcast didn't do it justice, who knows?

I rather enjoyed the broadcast - it reminded me of a standard imaging session, things going wrong, plans upset, some success and some failure - yup a pretty standard imaging session! OK, it could have been a lot slicker as a marketing tool but at least it was realistic with real amateur astronomers doing just what we do :grin: :grin:

I rather enjoyed the broadcast - it reminded me of a standard imaging session, things going wrong, plans upset, some success and some failure - yup a pretty standard imaging session! OK, it could have been a lot slicker as a marketing tool but at least it was realistic with real amateur astronomers doing just what we do :grin: :grin:

I'm with you Steve - I rather enjoyed the banter and was really impressed with some of the results, particularly with the sky conditions they were experiencing. I quite like that they were using pretty mid-level equipment as well - it gave a much more realistic demonstration of what people might be able to expect in their own back garden.

I can't wait to get my hands on one and have a play :)

I didn't see it, but am wondering whether the software will be available/usable for other atik cameras - using the 460 for live would be cool!

Helen

I'm wondering the same, my 414 / Titan downloads it's data pretty quickly so it wouldn't take long for a real time stacked image to build up.

I hope Atik don't restrict the new software to just the New Infinity......

Stuart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived