Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

nigelbeaumont

Output file size in DSS

I stacked 16 x 4 minute subs of the Elephant Trunk Nebula last night using DSS. Each sub was about 17 MB in size and in the standard Canon DSLR .cr2 format. When I saved the output as a 16bit/channel TIFF or FITS file, it was about 300 MB in size? Any idea why the output file should be do much larger? I'm sure I never used to get such large output files, I think I must have changed a setting in DSS but I've no idea which one

Drizzle? That would increase file size, though still sounds big.

Chews up hard drive space, doesn't it?

My .CR2 files are about 19 - 22 Mb but the resultant DSS .fits files come out at about 200+ Mb. Afraid I've no idea why or whether this necessary. They take an age to load into StarTools, too, but Fits Liberator seems to have no difficulty loading them, although it often chokes on the output.

Edited by almcl

I'v turned off drizzle x 2 and will see if that has an effect on output file size. No idea when I turned it, but probably a while ago

Stacked 6 x 17 MB SUBs today with drizzle turned off, and the output file was 71 MB. Still big, but a whole lot more manageable than 300 MB (only stacked 6 because the other 14 were lost to broken low cloud and horrible dew, worst I've ever had)