SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do people use to stitch images together?

pipnina

I took photos for a mosaic of the milky way from horizon to horizon last night and I've heard of people using a program that automatically stitches photos together for panoramics like this. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Thanks,

~pip

We also use ICE and Autostitch both free and easy to find/use,  have a play see what works for you.

Just tried autostitch, it didn't exactly do what I'd expected. (curved the milky way over and put parts of images off the side, not very attractive.

I'll try ICE, if that doesn't work, I'll have to do it manually.

You could also try Huggin. It's not specifically for astro work, but it makes a very good job of landscapes.

Free download here: hugin.sourceforge.net/

You could also try Hugin. It's not specifically for astro work, but it makes a very good job of landscapes.

Free download here: hugin.sourceforge.net/

With large mosaics (of which Tom and I have had recent experience  :grin: ) the big problem is defining the field curvature. Chucking things into an auto programme is not going to tell that programme what the is the field geometry. Going over the zenith is asking a lot.

Because we do a lot of this stuff here we have a variety of approaches and for your situation I'd be thinking about Auto Pano Pro.

Olly

Best would be PTGUI based on some free tools.

Freeware Hugin is very good but one needs to spend time to learn the app.

Or Autopano is excellent to detect n stick.

I know how to stitch using PTGUI.

Hugin is good too n If used properly one can rid the coma errors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Archived