Self Centering Eyepiece holders. Much of a muchness ??

Telescope40

Hi All.     Been looking around the old internet with a view to purchasing one of these.  Found a few that seem to vary in cost from less than £ 20 to over £ 60.  I know you get what you pay for and I don't mind any outlay if I am getting value for money  BUT  wondering if I would be going wrong if I went for the lower end of the money spectrum.  They all seem pretty solid pieces of kit ???

These are the makes I have come across so far  -  

Revelation 

Antares

Skywatcher

and Baader.

Any opinions most welcome.   I am just a visual observer if this alters anyone's feedback.

Thx   in advance  and clear skies      John

I have the Antares and find it solid and it works well. I got another cheaper one once when I was getting something from the US and its not as good. Think it's called Olivion or something like that.

Barry

Mine has an Orion badge on it (I think) but is essentially the same as the revalation version. I have not had any issues with it and like it very much. I have not used any of the others to compare with though.

I think the revelation one is fine, for £20 including P&P it's great value! It does the job, however I agree that it is a bit fiddly as the ring is small, also you have to make sure it is secured in the focuser or else the screws in the focuser will mark lines in the sca

These are the makes I have come across so far  -  

Revelation 

Antares

Skywatcher

and Baader.

Any opinions most welcome.   I am just a visual observer if this alters anyone's feedback.

With your spending on the scopes, I would recomend the Baader Clicklock, a little more cost but you wouldn't need to think of upgrading.

My logic is simple, most astro gears, either low-cost ones or very expensive ones, are generally quite a lot cheaper in the United States than in Europe, while Baader accessaries on the other hand, are mostly in comparable or even lower price levels here in Europe, this alone makes the Baader accessaryies look like a bargain to me.

I have both Antares and Howie Glatter Parallizer. Both work good, but the parallizer is better for more precise collimation since it prevents the Cheshire eyepiece or laser collimator from wobbling.  A couple years ago I had a brief discussion with Howie on CN and he explained that all these self-centering adapters don't guarantee a 90* angle between optical axes. I actually agree with him, my Antares adapter is getting more and more loose with the age. The parallizer is well-machined, doesn't have moving parts and feels like a rock :grin: .  But it's important mostly for collimation and high magnification observations like planetary. For lower power observations any decent budget adapter should be fine.

Archived