Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North American Nebula

I was lucky enough to inherit a fine pair of Ziess Conquest 8 x 32 bins, which combine well with a sun lounger under a dark sky. Have yet to try the NAN with the F7 refractor and 24mm Hyperion, but may get the opportunity within the next fortnight (hols in France).

I'm looking to get a UHC filter, but they vary so much in price, and I'm not sure I understand what level of performance would be appropriate for visual. More research required.

I agree with the comments concerning dark sight adaption, having only recently realised how beneficial this can be.

ps Perhaps these may help Disgruntled of SE France with his Pelecanidae appreciation:-

http://www.chalkboardnails.com/2014/09/purple-galaxy-nails-inspired-by-the-pelican-nebula.html

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

School Report

Name: Olly Penrice

Subject: North America Nebula studies, telescopic observations.

Grade: D-

Comment: Must try harder!! ;)

Olly, surely your Pronto with a OIII and a nice long focal length eyepiece would do the job under your lovely skies??

I think you've been reading too many of my posts!

New Product: Glasses with different filters as lenses. The latest in astro-wear: Foster-Grant OIII sun-glasses.....?

I'll go away now...

Dave

I've just been obs the NA neb, very clear for a bit,21.6 SQM. With my 10" dob and the 30mm ES 82/Lumi OIII it sticks out like a sore thumb and panning around the neb with this combo reveals new things a lot of the time.

The OP's 200P + 30mm ep and a good OIII will make a great NA neb scope, once its driven to truly dark skies.

The other night while watching the Pelicans head- it disappeared lol! I thought clouds-no, then poor trans, but no....the moon just rose enough before the horizon to wash it right out! This is how sensitive these nebs can be to conditions.  Under these conditions the Veil is still easy. The NA neb complex if and it's protean nature makes for a challenging object, in many ways.

I have seen this at Kielder Forest a few years back with a pair of Canon IS bino's the view was amazing when the image stabilisation was switched on. As other have said it is a large widefield object best seen with the naked eye or bino's

Regards

Indeed.... I view it through my 10x50 binos holding my UHC filter in front of them  :bino2:

Despite many attempts spanning quite a long time I have never been able to spot this Nebula and I take great heart from the  positive posts herein and elsewhere.  Patrick Moore referred to 20 X bins as  perhaps the best option but he does not rule out some success  with  7 X and  better stil 8.5 X........and even with the naked eye.  That must be wonderful.  I have always enjoyed the trying and will  continue to do so

Pete 

Forgot to mention in previous post.....what is a Olll   filter  which has been frequently referred to?

An O-III filter is what is classed as a "line" filter which helps increase the contrast in nebula. UHC filters do a similar job but come under the heading of "narrowband" filters.

These filters work by restricting the wavelengths of light that are passed through to the eye to the main ones that nebulae emit, so dimming other light and making the nebulae seem to stand out more.

Archived