Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from South Somerset

KRYPTON

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again to all who have given me such a warm welcome. The comments from Glowjet and Tommohawk particularly intrigue me as they refer to the limitations of my EQ5 mount. What actually are the limitations is it the weight of the equipment on the mount or the gearing inaccuracy. Although I have no guiding I tend to use exposures of less than 60 seconds and star trails are not too bad. Wind on the AOT seems to be more of an issue.  If there is someone out there with a similar AOT and mount what setup did you use did you have any issues with getting the DSO and guide star in focus at the same time?

Any information appreciated.

Ken

Thanks again to all who have given me such a warm welcome. The comments from Glowjet and Tommohawk particularly intrigue me as they refer to the limitations of my EQ5 mount. What actually are the limitations is it the weight of the equipment on the mount or the gearing inaccuracy. Although I have no guiding I tend to use exposures of less than 60 seconds and star trails are not too bad. Wind on the AOT seems to be more of an issue.  If there is someone out there with a similar AOT and mount what setup did you use did you have any issues with getting the DSO and guide star in focus at the same time?

Any information appreciated.

Ken

Hi Ken

The Synta mount types are confusing. For example, so far as I can tell, the EQ6 is the same structurally as the NEQ6 and all other 6 types. However, looking at my HEQ5 and comparing to pictures of the EQ5 I think there are definite differences. The basic EQ5 doesnt have motors, the EQ5pro does, but they both look structurally different to the HEQ5.

The EQ5 pro, and presumably the standard EQ5 has quoted payload Capacity: Approx 6.5kg for imaging and 9kg for visual

The HEQ5 has quoted payload capacity: 11kg for imaging, 15kg for visual.

I think you have to assume the HEQ actually has a higher payload due toa combination of bearing  and/or drive motors design. The 200p is about 10kg inc rings, apparently, so you are alrady on the limit.

An OAG is obviously lighter than a guide-scope, but by the time you have your cameras aboard you'll be well over. TBH even with the HEQ5 its pushing things. 

If you overload you'll struggle to couterbalance and guiding will likely be less accurate - bear in mind that when guiding you'll be aiming for <0.25 pixel deviation.As you say, wind is an issue, more so with a lower spec mount.

Also you said<<If there is someone out there with a similar AOT and mount what setup did you use did you have any issues with getting the DSO and guide star in focus at the same time?>>

Not sure that you mean here - I'm guessing you mean OTA, and your query relates to use of off - axis guider? If so, I cant help as I use a separate guide scope.

IHTH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tommohawk. You are correct in assuming it was an OTA I meant. I better understand the shortcomings of the EQ5 now. Considering I brought the EQ5 and 200p  as a package I am a bit peeved they are not compatible as you say the 200p is 9.5kg and the rating of the EQ5 is 9kg already 0.5kg over its limit. :huh:  

I wouldnt say they arent compatible - for visual use I'm sure its fine, but for imaging you usually allow a tighter margin. I honestly dont know whether the EQ5 would cope - I'm really just passing on received wisdom. 

Assuming the EQ5 has motors, you could try sorting out the guiding (OAG is lighter than separate scope) and see what happens - you wont break anything, and if you use PHD or similar for guiding you'll soon see if theres any problems. If there are, you could upgrade the mount in due course.

Alternatievely if you got the kit recently from a big supplier, you could maybe exchange the mount??

Archived