SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from South Somerset

KRYPTON

Hi all

I have been interested in astronomy for may years. I can even remember seeing pictures in one of Patrick Moors books of the moon with a blank space round the back of it. I have now bought a Skywatcher 200p on an EQ5 mount and  have been reading information on this site for about six months and found it very useful. My particular interest is imaging Deep Sky Objects and have had some success with a Canon 550D but can never get the same quality as other more experienced astronomers. I now intend to take the plunge and get a CCD ATIK460EX Colour camera and a means of auto guiding it and it is for this reason I am seeking the advice of other members. The two options seem to be:-

1 a CCD camera for imaging, a prism to deflect light from one of the stars to another camera that is used to relay this information to the auto guider.

2 a CCD camera for imaging, a second small telescope mounted on the OTA fitted with another camera that is used to relay this information to the auto guider.

The question is what are the pros and cons of each system and could the Canon 550D with an adapter to 1.25 " be used for the second camera or do I need to buy a second small CCD for the guiding?

Many thanks in advance for any information and taking the time to post a reply.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and decided to join. Personally I rate the Off Axis Guiders (small prism to pick off light from the main scope) - But you would benefit hugely from a decent guide camera as you need a good degree of sensitivity.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi and Welcome - I'm in North Devon so not that far away.

I would agree with Sara - off axis guider with a small sensitive guide camera (look for secondhand - they do come up). The only time I would go with a second guide scope is for comets where the object is moving in a different direction to the starry background (i'm sure you will hear otherwise... :rolleyes: )

Enjoy

Thanks to all for your warm welcome and you comments. The prism would seem to be the way to go  fitted with a sensitive guide camera. I have in mind a ATIK GP but any recommendations are appreciated. I take it the ATIK GP guide camera just fits on to the OAG or are there any issues with regard to focus? If someone has a picture of a similar setup I should like to see it.

Many Thanks Ken

Hi Ken and welcome to SGL. Although I am not personally involved in imaging, over the years, being a member of this forum I have accumulated some basic knowledge of this dark art. Your very next purchase to consider, would be a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards, not available through general book stores, but direct through FLO see top of this page. It has been for many years and still is the guide to Astrophotography for many of our accomplished imagers and those just starting out.

I admire your desire to take good DSO images and to this end you are willing to invest money into cameras and guide equipment, You have at the moment a good light gathering bucket in your 200P, but this is mounted on an EQ5, which although able to produce some acceptable results, is the weakest part of your basic set up. The weight of the scope itself is getting near to what an EQ5 can handle, with added cameras and guide scope this could be pushing it to the extreme and you may be unhappy with the results.

Many of our seasoned imagers using large reflectors, have invested in the EQ6 range, as a solid base to work up from, something for you to consider, but at the same time is going to make deeper holes in your pocket, enjoy your imaging :)

Hi all

I have been interested in astronomy for may years. I can even remember seeing pictures in one of Patrick Moors books of the moon with a blank space round the back of it. I have now bought a Skywatcher 200p on an EQ5 mount and  have been reading information on this site for about six months and found it very useful. My particular interest is imaging Deep Sky Objects and have had some success with a Canon 550D but can never get the same quality as other more experienced astronomers. I now intend to take the plunge and get a CCD ATIK460EX Colour camera and a means of auto guiding it and it is for this reason I am seeking the advice of other members. The two options seem to be:-

1 a CCD camera for imaging, a prism to deflect light from one of the stars to another camera that is used to relay this information to the auto guider.

2 a CCD camera for imaging, a second small telescope mounted on the OTA fitted with another camera that is used to relay this information to the auto guider.

The question is what are the pros and cons of each system and could the Canon 550D with an adapter to 1.25 " be used for the second camera or do I need to buy a second small CCD for the guiding?

Many thanks in advance for any information and taking the time to post a reply.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Just a couple of thoughts.

You mentioned that you hadn't had great results to date with your 550D - but of course if you aren't currently guiding I guess that's no surprise. Might it be worth getting the guiding sorted and having an other go with the 550D?

For guiding you need good sensitivity to ensure you can see a star - so CCD is required as has been mentioned.

Do you  have EQ5, or HEQ5? From what I read theres quite a difference in load capacity and as Glowjet said the EQ5 might not be up to it.

Also, I'm sure the Atik 460 is a fabulous camera but bear in mind the sensor is a bit smaller that the 550d so larger DSOs will have to be mosaic or done with a reducer.

Have fun, whichever way you go!

Archived