Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
strangeseraph

New from Canada

Hi everybody. I'm Lee, 25, female, from Canada eh? :( I just recently found this forum and thought I'd join. I don't have a telescope, mostly I just like to see what can be seen with my own two eyes, but with my sight failing lately I've been thinking about a telecope. I live in the city and there's not much to look at in the sky at night, hard to see the stars. But maybe a telescope would help.

Nice to be aboard.

My sign is Taurus, I was born in the year of the dog, and I love science fiction and fantasy. Yup, I'm another extraterrestrial loving nut. :angry:

Hello Lee! Welcome to SGL - binoculars might be a good place to start. :angry:

Hello Lee and welcome to SGL.

A pair of binoculars is the best "first step" into astronomy. They dont have to be big or expensive. 8X50 or 10X50 are ideal.

If you can get out to the country away from all the lights some moonless night then you'll be awestuck at what you can see.

Before buying a telescope. Ask for advice first! There are many ways to waste your money and it may put you off astronomy for life.

Theres a wealth of information on these forums and a bunch of friendly helpful people.

I too am a SF nut. Just finished "Matter" by Iain M Banks. Really enjoyed it. One of his better books.

Hello Lee. you don't seem like a strange fiery flying Serpent. What made you choose that handle? :angry:

Perhaps a pair of binoculars will improve your sight of the stars in your light polluted city.

Bino's are very useful, and in some ways better than a telescope.

Welcome to SGL, and I hope we can improve your astronomical knowledge.

Ron. :(

Hi everybody. I'm Lee, 25, female, from Canada eh?

Hi Lee.

Fellow 'najan Richard here, in Ottawa. Your profile says Windsor, so if you haven't already done so, check out the Windsor centre of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. There you'll find other like-minded enthusiasts, interesting meetings, lots of help, and chances to visit organized star parties and observe through a variety of kinds of optics. Welcome aboard.

Hi Lee

Welcome to SGL from Scotland. It is a huge source of knowledge and inspiration.

If there is a club nearby join it too. You can get some hands-on experience of equipment whether it's binoculars or telescopes.

Scotastro

Hi Lee :wave: ,

A very warm welcome to SGL.

Steve

Hey, thanks for the warm welcomes! And the advice is great, I'll try binoculars first then.

barkis: I chose the other meaning for seraph, from the Christian context, a six winged angel. Kind of funny because I'm not a Christian. I believe the seraphs mentioned in the bible as witnessed by ancient humans were actually visitors from another world. So taken from that context is that I believe we have been visited by these beings in the past and I strive to be more like them, despite the fact that I am a human not an angel.

So I'm strange, for a seraph being, because I don't have the 'wings' etc etc. Does that make sense? I saw a great documentary about that called Ancient Aliens that describes some biblical basis for the existence of aliens, and I sort of stuck to it.

But when I was a little younger I was calling myself a dryad, a sort of wood nymph, because I believe/d in magic and faeries. I'm a computer science loving geek girl who has no interest in romance or fashion, and my priorities have changed over the years, because my handle has changed so many times, but this one I've stuck with for four years now and I have no plans of getting rid of it now.

Hope that answers the question. :angry:

Hi Lee, another welcome from Scotland :) I'm 23 and a bit of a sci-fi obsessive too. don't worry, I don't have a scope either right now... get around with the binoculars pretty well when the weather isn't deciding to be grumpy. :angry:

So you're a Taurus? Happy birthday then :headbang: I'm Cancer but, uh, I didn't say that :p I'm an astrobiologist (well, I like to pretend I am), so when I catch ET I'll let you know :(

I love Canada, you're very lucky to live there. I'd love to move over there one day...

Hi Lee

Welcome, just so happens im visiting Toronto and maybe Ottawa for a few weeks at the moment.

So far i love it - i could move to Canada permanently anyday!!

Hello Lee and a very warm welcome to SGL. :angry: Visited Sept IIes, and Port Catier on the St Lawrence river, a few times when i was in the Merchant Navy. The little bit of your vast country i saw was beautiful, and the people so friendly

When i started out in astronomy i got a pair of 10x50 binos, and never regretted starting that way.

phillc :wave: