Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Anglesey, Wales!

lw2689

I moved to Anglesey in March 15, i have loved Astronomy from a young age. I was given a 4" reflector telescope by a friend but the mount is not great and can not focus it at all anymore. So....i wanted to buy my own now ive got a better paid job. Can anyone help?

I want the scope to have/be: portable, go-to, capable of doing astrophotography (nothing serious) ideally not needing a battery pack! Easy to set up. Good for planetary viewing, but able to see some deep sky objects.

I have looked at the Celestron Nexstar Evolution 6, i do have an upper limit of £2,000 altogether. I have the money saved so i thought if im going to forfill a childhood dream of an awesome telescope why not go all out (as much as i can!) i have looked at the 8" evo but it might just be that little too big for me as i dont know anyone else interested in Astronomy so i'll be out on my own and it does seem that little big.

I have also read that when looking through the scope what you see is not like 'photos' that colours are not as pretty.

(Black and white) Which leads me onto with in that budget could i get an imager to go with the scope? Or would it just be worth getting a DSLR? I know ideally an eq mount is needed for astrophotography but the azimuth mount is more portable and practical for me..plus i could get a wedge if i was going to get serious...or upgrade thr mount.

Any help is welcome...and if you live in North Wales give me a shout!

Lou

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lou,

Warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forums. Ex pat from holyhead. There are a few on SGL that live on Anglesey.

I would suggest that you open a new thread in the getting started equipment help / advice section for your new scope. That's a great budget, and you should be able to get a substantial setup for that cost.

Hwyl!

Hi Lou and welcome to SGL - There's a thread running somewhere of what you can expect to see at the eye piece. Also, if you look in the sketching section that will give you a good idea of the sorts of things you can see. Sadly you will not see stuff in the glorious technicolour and detail that imagers produce at the eyepiece. Why not look up some local clubs to you and go along and then you'll be able to see for yourself what you can actually see and whether that will interest you.

I say that as I don't do visual and I don't get it either!! To me one grey fuzz looks like another, so I prefer imaging.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Archived