sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

NGC 5005 01/05/08 Now in 'glorious' technicolour!!

So Thursday night was clear, not great condtions, but clear none the less :angry: . I've had a couple of tries at at a certain galaxy and I thought 'I'll give the RGB filters their first light and have another crack at it'. Clearly I wasn't paying attention as I missed my intended target (not by much mind) and spent my time taking shots of this one. Small, not overly spectacular but not without it's charms. I haven't added the RGB data yet as I haven't worked out how to align it yet but I'll add that when my brain gets into gear.

12x5 mins taken with my Atik 16hr through my WO ZS110 with Baader IR cut and Hutech IDAS filters, guided by a ZS66, QHY5 and PHD all riding on an EQ6 Pro. Processed in Photoshop.

5634_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

Finally!! Here's the colour :angry: . I shot the Luminence straight through but because the scope was going to hit the tripod of the EQ6, I had to use a diagonal to get the RGB! So apart from trying to figure out doing the RGB (I would have been completely knackered without Martin's primer!), I had to flip the RGB, rotate, move, rotate, move, rotate, move ad infinitum..... Very fiddly but I've managed it :( . I'm pretty chuffed for a first stab considering!

The colour was taken using the Baader RGB filter set, 15 mins of Red, 15 Green and 21 Blue.

5650_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

Tony, even more detail in the galaxy core now. Lets hope your next attempt is a little less eventful during the capture phase, sounds like you had a very eventful evening.

Steve

Flippin' heck Tony :shock:

You're rolling on for your second POW at this rate. Absolutely superb, and what progress!

I have no right to criticise anything about that image, but you seem to still have too much red in there...

Andrew

Well done Tony. Your imaging cred. is expanding at light speed mate.

You have put a lot of work in, and come up with a great result.

There a massive Black Hole in this one too. I just read about it. :angry:

Ron.

Thank you all for the positive comments, it's nice to see that it wasn't a completely wasted evening!

Andrew and Kevin, I've taken down the Red :angry:. I didn't notice it at first as a) I'm a bit colour blind and :( my Laptop's screen isn't that great. I think this one's more balanced!

5657_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

Wayhaay!!! Well done Tony. The final one with the red toned down is immaculate. The aligning business in PS is a nightmare. Did you sort out aligning the RGBs in the end. If you can do that then you can align the combined RGB with the luminence.

Glad the primer helped. LRGB is great fun once the routines are sussed :angry:

Thanks for that gentlemen :(. I'm hoping the forecast is accurate as the next two nights are supposed to be clear and I'm hoping to give what was my intended target some real expousre time tonight and tomorrow.

Rog, I'm still very much a beginner mate!! My sky calander says it's not going to be 'astro' dark after the 18th of May until late July some time so I've got plans to build a light box and work out how to do flats during that period amongst other things :angry:.

Martin, your primers are gold to idiots like me :p, if it wasn't for people like you, Rog and co. on here, I certainly wouldn't even contemplate imaging! Once I worked out the alignment of the RGB's it was fiddly, but well worth it.

It still amazes me that I can spend a few bob, faff around for a while in the back garden and come up with images like these that I couldn't hope to see visually which for me is the buzz hence it's all galaxies right now :).

Tony..