Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Piero

Finders on Dobson telescopes

I used straight through finders for most of my observing life. My switch to a RACI one is quite recent. I still find myself occasionally moving the scope the wrong way through force of habit  :rolleyes:  :grin:

The reason I switched was mainly comfort. On small to mid sized Dobs it is more comfortable thats for sure.

• Like 1

I could not get on with the straight through finder that came with my scope. I found a Rigel and RACI a good combination.

I used straight through finders for most of my observing life. My switch to a RACI one is quite recent. I still find myself occasionally moving the scope the wrong way through force of habit  :rolleyes:  :grin:

The reason I switched was mainly comfort. On small to mid sized Dobs it is more comfortable thats for sure.

Hi Steve,

What do you use these days on the big 20", do you use a red dot/telrad or are you straight in with a raci? I expect with a focal length like that there wont be many options to use a low enough power to use the main scope as its own finder.

Hope all is well,

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Im good thanks mate, hope you are too :)

On the 20" I use a Tetrad + RACI finder. Would like a straight through correct image one at some point (when finances allow).