Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lagoon and Trifid nebulae - galactic disc widefield

pixueto

Good stuff.

Using the lens at 2.8 is pretty brave. I'm not dead sure focus is fully nailed. It helps to focus on a star placed at the intersection of the 1/3 lines. (A thing I learned from Psychobilly.) After that, fine focus is really tricky and worth spending a long time on. The field is great and I do like the image.

Olly

Thank you for your kind comments. You are right Olly, I don't think focus is spot on. I also use a star in that area but with widefield lenses I struggle to tell when the focus is 200% right. I am used to Bhatinov masks where things are much easier.

By the way, anyone knows where I can find a good tutorial on using star masks? I always struggle with targets like this. In this image, the Lagoon and Trifid benefitted from a little sharpening and a high pass filter but I wanted to keep the stars controlled.

Archived