Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

piprees

PHD not responding

Not much success with guiding tonight. I manage to calibrate PHD but it won't guide or not for very long before the program freezes. Hey Ho! Back to square 1.

Not much success with guiding tonight. I manage to calibrate PHD but it won't guide or not for very long before the program freezes. Hey Ho! Back to square 1.

Hi

Sounds like a usb cable/port problem - very common!

Louise

I'm not so sure it is now I've seen the camera work well in EZPlanetary.

Anyway, I've worked on this problem for about 12 hours today with no joy. So, I'm out here under clear skies, I've removed the guide camera and DSLR, stuck in an eyepiece and I'm going to enjoy the night sky.

Edited by Ouroboros

Hi

I seem to recall that the native driver had a problem when used with PHD whereas the ascom driver was ok. However, PHD2 doesn't have those problems. If it crashes you usually have to close PHD/PHD2 and unplug-reconnect the camera to allow the camera to re-upload the drivers. One of my qhy's is very temperamental - possibly because I'm running it with a 5m cable which puts it on the limit. If I do have a problem with it I have to fiddle with the cable run to make sure it's not near a psu cable or anything that it might pick up noise from. Once sorted, it's usually ok for the session :)

Hope you can sort yours out.

Louise

Thanks Louise. When your PHD is running well how often does the screen refresh the image seen by the camera? Is it regular and every second say if that is the exposure? Mine seems to refresh very intermittently - sometimes fast, sometimes slow with long periods where the screen isn't refreshed.

Hi

Yeah, mine refreshes regularly in PHD2. The camera led flashes twice for each download. I'm actually running qhy5l-ii cameras which maybe aren't quite the same as yours though I imagine they are similar... Looking on qhyccd there is an ascom driver 'V03' for the qhy5ii-m so I assume that's the one you're running?

Louise

Have you tried the other PHD?

IE, some people get on better with PHD, some PHD2 (openPHD). I'm with the latter group.

Have you tried the other PHD?

IE, some people get on better with PHD, some PHD2 (openPHD). I'm with the latter group.

I haven't. That may well be my next step.

By the way something I noticed whilst setting up ... PHD still tells you "Mount Connected" even if you forget to connect the ST4 lead from the camera to the mount. So it would seem that it's merely confirmation that you've pressed the mount button not that PHD and the mount are actually talking to one another.

think that's just ST4 - PHD won't know anything about your st4 wire from camera to mount if you've selected 'on camera' so it's just reporting to you that it is able to send guide commands to the camera.  If connected via ASCOM/EQMOD, then it will properly tell you about connection to mount status.

It's been behaving itself over the last few nights. Checked and tightened the connectors.

Carol, yes, it does beep sometimes, and gives a mass reading and a VS reading, 1248 and 4125. No idea what these are but it doesn't loose the star and keeps guiding so I'm not too worried.

Regards,

Phil

Glad to hear you're back up and running, Phil. Not so much luck here. I've tried different USB cables, powered USB hub, swapping USB socket, updating the driver, installing and running PHD2, increasing the non-response time ..... The problem remains but is annoyingly intermittent. I just don't trust it. Sometimes the camera will run for an hour or more without a problem. Then on another occasion it keeps freezing with the message: "Camera timeout during capture. Camera is disconnected. Please resolve the problem and reconnect the camera." I'm beginning to wonder whether there's a problem with the camera itself.

Glad to hear you're back up and running, Phil. Not so much luck here. I've tried different USB cables, powered USB hub, swapping USB socket, updating the driver, installing and running PHD2, increasing the non-response time ..... The problem remains but is annoyingly intermittent. I just don't trust it. Sometimes the camera will run for an hour or more without a problem. Then on another occasion it keeps freezing with the message: "Camera timeout during capture. Camera is disconnected. Please resolve the problem and reconnect the camera." I'm beginning to wonder whether there's a problem with the camera itself.

Hi

This is with the 450d? How are you powering it? I run my 1100d's via mains adaptors which connect via the battery compartment with a dummy battery connector. They don't always sit tight and can be the source of intermittent disconnects.

Louise

Yes, I've experienced that once or twice. But no I'm talking about the guide camera, which is a QHY5-II.

Last night for example I was playing with the QHY5 in the house. Disconnecting and reconnecting different USB cables, swapping USB sockets, restarting the lap top etc. The camera would refresh the image a few times then the timeout error message appear. But it would work fine in EZ planetary. Then for no reason I disconnected the camera from the guide scope, then reconnected it. Started PHD2 again and the camera worked with no timeout. I stopped and started it a few times. Fine, no problem. I left it chugging away while I watched New Tricks and came back an hour later and it was still going strong, no timeout. But when I stopped PHD2 and restarted I had the same old problem back. Is it static build up on the finder scope I wondered or some kind of 'earth loop'? So I rigged up a short wire to link the outer of the USB to the guide scope to create a common earth. Did it help? Nope! Phew!

Yeah, sorry. One thing to remember is that the qhys don't have any firmware. Each time you disconnect/reconnect it reloads the pseudo-firmware. When running they use a high bandwidth so need the best quality hi-speed cables. Even then, they don't necessarily work reliably with max length 5m cables. Make sure usb cables aren't picking up noise from other cables or power cables. Also, make sure you're plugging into a hi-speed usb port. It could be a driver problem - EZPlanetary uses a different, native driver rather than the Ascom driver that PHD uses. You could try posting on the qhy forum though I'm not sure if they've got rid of all the malware that was disrupting their site before...

Louise

Good suggestion. I'm going to sign up on the PHD forum too. I just need to set up a Google account for that. I've now worked out how to reach the log files so I will post those too. Could be the cable/USB sockets I suppose. But I'm now on my fourth cable. I'm using short ones for testing and going direct from camera to laptop to avoid long relay cables. I cannot reproduce the problem by wiggling the USB plugs in the sockets when the camera is refreshing happily so it's probably not down to a dodgy connection in the socket. Interesting what you say about EZplanetary using different drivers.

Hi

Well you want a cable that says it's 480Mbps regardless of length... You could find which port on your laptop is a hi speed port and dedicate it to the qhy. Also maybe disconnect from wi-fi/internet.

Hope you can sort it!

Louise

Both my two ports are USB3 ports. I've seen the problem in both and, although I can't be certain, I would have thought the several cables I've tried would be rated at 480Mbps, which is the standard USB 2.0 speed I think. I've also seen the problem regardless of whether I'm disconnected to the Internet. But thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Both my two ports are USB3 ports. I've seen the problem in both and, although I can't be certain, I would have thought the several cables I've tried would be rated at 480Mbps, which is the standard USB 2.0 speed I think. I've also seen the problem regardless of whether I'm disconnected to the Internet. But thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Ahh... fwiw I've always had problems trying to run my qhy5l-ii via usb3 - could be a timing thing.... There are some usb3 cams on the market.

Louise

Edit: only some usb2 cables are rated at hi speed - yer average printer cable probably won't be and only some cables are shielded

Edited by Thalestris24

Could be USB 3 timing thing. On the other hand I've only ever used the camera with this laptop using the USB cable supplied by the manufacturer and it has worked in the past at a more-or-less acceptable level of dropouts. It's only recently it's got worse. The cable I'm using now is definitely shielded because it's got a transparent outer and I can see the braided metal shielding. I think it's a cable supplied with an old external hard drive I used to use.

I'll post the problem on the PHD site or QHY and report back. It seems others have had this problem, but none of the posted solutions seem to solve it for me. Could just be the camera. I suppose I could just bite the bullet and buy another make of guide cam and keep this one for planetary. Expensive solution though. What guide cams do people recommend?

Well I use qhy5l-ii monos but as I say they don't seem to work with my usb3 ports... Lodestars come highly recommended but at a price! Altair Astro have a cheap camera which uses the same sensor as the qhy5l-ii but seems to require a special PHD2 at the moment. ZWO do a variety, including usb 3. Qhy now have a usb3 - qhy5III - but who knows when it will be available and how much it will cost! Their miniCam5s would be nice to have but is too expensive really.

Louise

Thanks again, Louise. I like the look of the Lodestars. Expensive, as you say. They also come with their own guide software I believe. So it's an integrated package. Usually a better option. I'm slightly concerned about whether the pixels in a loadstar are too big for my set up, particularly with the 1000mm focal length 200p. I use a SW finder guider which has focal length of about 190mm I think. I'm still battling on with the QHY though. Nothing very significant to report from the PHD or QHY forums.