SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Battery for Skywatcher EQ5 Pro SynScan GoTo

I've just invested in a Skywatcher EQ5 Pro SynScan GoTo mount for my Skywatcher Pro 80ED refractor and I'm planning on taking it out for the first time this weekend. I'm struggling to determine a decent, portable (I don't have a car), ready-to-use, rechargeable battery that isn't going to break the bank (I'd spend more for increased portability).

Does anyone have any links for batteries they would recommend?

Lead acid vs lithium polymer?

Any thoughts on the Skywatcher 17 Amp Power Tank ?

Thanks!

As mentioned if you get something like the Skywatcher 17ah power pack, bit expensive but ready to roll, when the battery dies as it will, you can fit a nice Tracer battery in it's place, did something similar with my Maplin power tank.

Dave

post-21198-0-12983900-1440432497_thumb.j

Wow, thanks very much everyone, that's great. I feared that the most portable option would also be the most expensive. A 40ah Tracer is a little beyond my budget right now, but I do like that setup. Do you think an 8Ah would suffice?

I have the smallest Tracer for a small scope and it is very good.

Bit unimpressed with the output connector - I get the idea someone has decided to use a propriety item then has put the normal car connector on the end so it can be actually used by the people that want the battery.

It maintains the charge well so is a good option other then has been mentioned the cost.

One somewhat less costly item and good for a 12v scope/mount may be these:

Hillfly

It is an ebay seller - bothers some - but they are as small and inexpensive as you will get.

Never yet bought one myself, keep meaning to and will need to soon - small 12v goto but generally no more then 2 hours use, so I will look at one that should be OK for 4 hours approximately.

How good/bad they are I cannot say from experience, but rechargeable, and a piece of self adhesive velcro should, within reason, keep it in place.

You would have to check the specification of the battery and I would suggest limiting the slew rate of the mount - set it to say 7. This makes it a bit quieter but also lower current pulled.

I use a 12V 22Ah /20 hr Sealed Rechargeable Battery (Golf trolley). Lucas LSLC22-12. Was around the £30 mark if I remember correctly. Powers my similar setup for a night or more. Not that heavy, definitely portable.

Thanks very much everyone for all your help and suggestions. As it's my birthday, I've just splashed out on a Tracer 10Ah which I'm trying out this weekend, hopefully. I'll report back if there are any problems.

Thanks very much everyone for all your help and suggestions. As it's my birthday, I've just splashed out on a Tracer 10Ah which I'm trying out this weekend, hopefully. I'll report back if there are any problems.

Good luck and clear skies

I use a 12V 22Ah /20 hr Sealed Rechargeable Battery (Golf trolley). Lucas LSLC22-12. Was around the £30 mark if I remember correctly. Powers my similar setup for a night or more. Not that heavy, definitely portable.

How do you connect it to the goto?

I have the smallest Tracer for a small scope and it is very good.

Bit unimpressed with the output connector - I get the idea someone has decided to use a propriety item then has put the normal car connector on the end so it can be actually used by the people that want the battery.

It maintains the charge well so is a good option other then has been mentioned the cost.

One somewhat less costly item and good for a 12v scope/mount may be these:

Hillfly

It is an ebay seller - bothers some - but they are as small and inexpensive as you will get.

Never yet bought one myself, keep meaning to and will need to soon - small 12v goto but generally no more then 2 hours use, so I will look at one that should be OK for 4 hours approximately.

How good/bad they are I cannot say from experience, but rechargeable, and a piece of self adhesive velcro should, within reason, keep it in place.

You would have to check the specification of the battery and I would suggest limiting the slew rate of the mount - set it to say 7. This makes it a bit quieter but also lower current pulled.

Do I need extra cables to connect this with my scope?

That's the battery I'm going to use. I'll connect a double car/fag lighter socket so that I can run the dew heater as well, 22Ah should be OK for an AVX and single dew strap.

How do you connect it to the goto?

That's the battery I'm going to use. I'll connect a double car/fag lighter socket so that I can run the dew heater as well, 22Ah should be OK for an AVX and single dew strap.

As per photo.

Connect straight to cigar lead from GOTO. Just make sure you get the POS/NEG the right way round. With Skywatcher you only get one chance to get it wrong BANG!!!

post-34685-0-30806300-1440596911_thumb.j

As per photo.

Connect straight to cigar lead from GOTO. Just make sure you get the POS/NEG the right way round. With Skywatcher you only get one chance to get it wrong BANG!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_2688_DxO30.jpg

Cheers Dave, I've bought a triple socket extension with 5v USB port from fleabay. I DO NOT intend to get the polarity wrong! I know of people who have fizzled their hand controllers just plugging into the wrong port on the AVX, I'll put a 5amp fuse in line as well.

The 17AH Skywatcher is very good, and cheaper than the (identical) Celestron version.

Don't forget though, the battery does not like being drained completely, so it's recommended that you don't drain it to less than 50% of the full charge. In effect that reduces it to 8.5 AH. Also, the SW synscan uses 2 amps, so now you are left with 4.25 hours viewing time, less if you also use a heater.

When the battery in mine finally dies I'll be replacing it with a 22AH battery which will give me 5.5 hours viewing time....

Archived