sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

I've been happily busy using my Dobs to find some cool objects so far this summer, including M57 Ring Nebula and M27 Dumbbell. I did some research and a lot of the nebulae or galaxies I want to find are either too dim for my skies, or I need a certain filter to see them which I clearly don't have. I also don't have the money to get one at this time.... :(

Thankfully, looking for the objects isn't difficult for me anymore. I like to use my ipad's StarWalk and turn it different directions to accommodate for the upside-down view in the lens. Anyway, last week I really wanted to find the North America, Crescent, & Blinking Planetary Nebulae within Cygnus. Of course none of those three were visible with what I had. Does anyone know of any targets that are visible with my telescope, without needing a filter or darker skies? I'm probably going out tonight since it will be clear. Thanks :)

Chloe      

Hi Chloe, there is loads of stuff. I enjoyed looking at all the sights in Ophiuchus recently particularly all the globs and the emerald planetary which is tiny but very bright. I'm not sure of your latitude but you could also drop down to the sights Sagittarius has to offer. Good hunting.

Edited by Owmuchonomy
  • Like 1

BeanerSA, I have a Zhumell z10 Dobsonian, with lens sizes 4, 9, 20, and 30mm, plus a 2x Barlow Lens. I also have a Moon filter which I rarely use, haha.

To Owmuch, I hope I can see Sagittarius and all the wonderful nebulae around it. My latitude is about 39.8 N so it should be high enough in the sky right now. My only issue is the trees in my yard. Too tall and too many! I suppose it involves lugging my telescope all around the yard. 

BeanerSA, I have a Zhumell z10 Dobsonian, with lens sizes 4, 9, 20, and 30mm, plus a 2x Barlow Lens. I also have a Moon filter which I rarely use, haha.

Firstly, you need to stop using the iPad app. That's killing your dark adapted vision. Either plan your observing session on the app and then leave it indoors, or learn to read a star chart with a red torch. You don't really need that filter just yet, and if you can see the ring nebula, you should be able to see plenty with that big 10" bucket.

• Like 2

You could try M31 (the Andromeda Galaxy), the double cluster in Perseus, M33 triangulum galaxy. If you can see Scorpio and Saggitarious there are lots of wonders there too! M4 and M7 in Scorpio and M8, M16, M17, M20, M22, M23, M24, M25, M28. Most of them are globular clusters but I assure you they are great fun. There are many in Opiuchus too. I can also tell you double stars are great. And there are many of them. Albireo, Mizar and Alcor, Izar in Bootes, double double in Lyra, there are many in Cassiopeia and many more that I can't remember really :D

Last but not least check this out, it can be great fun. 

http://www.deep-sky.co.uk/asterisms.htm

Cheers from Greece

Tzitzis

Edited by Tzitzis

Firstly, you need to stop using the iPad app. That's killing your dark adapted vision. Either plan your observing session on the app and then leave it indoors, or learn to read a star chart with a red torch. You don't really need that filter just yet, and if you can see the ring nebula, you should be able to see plenty with that big 10" bucket.

Oh that's right, I have recently dug out a star chart that I thought I lost. If worse comes to worst, I'm pretty good at memorizing where things are so I can work with that. 

You could try M31 (the Andromeda Galaxy), the double cluster in Perseus, M33 triangulum galaxy. If you can see Scorpio and Saggitarious there are lots of wonders there too! M4 and M7 in Scorpio and M8, M16, M17, M20, M22, M23, M24, M25, M28. Most of them are globular clusters but I assure you they are great fun. There are many in Opiuchus too. I can also tell you double stars are great. And there are many of them. Albireo, Mizar and Alcor, Izar in Bootes, double double in Lyra, there are many in Cassiopeia and many more that I can't remember really :D

Last but not least check this out, it can be great fun. 

http://www.deep-sky.co.uk/asterisms.htm

Cheers from Greece

Tzitzis

I definitely want to find the Andromeda Galaxy! I haven't thought about M33, M16, or M17 simply because I thought I couldn't see them, but now I can look for these and try my best to locate them all. Thanks :D  

M31 and M33 are pretty easy. 2 stars above Mirach and there it is! M31. Then about the same (I think) distance bellow Mirach is M33. 

Glad to be of help. Doubles and asterisms are great too for nights with a bright moon. Clusters too :)