Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help required PHD2

Hitesh

Hi all!!

I've had my first night using my lodestar autoguider with phd2 but tracking was really bad and have no idea what the graph means or how to use it, I've managed to snap a few images of the graph if anyone can interpret or diagnose what the issue is please do tell

Thanks in advance

be50466c78a8dcb8e60d263abb1c9c72.jpga3202444f410f9c3c36c5f96b8e528bc.jpg66c36358adfa7a92186caaebd97e7170.jpg

Nothing is true, everything is permitted

Thank you for that, I used edmod for PA, I really need to learn how to drift align I guess. Do I need to have the southern horizon to be able to drift align?

Hi

The phd2 tool drift align tool is easy to use. Yes, you need to be able to point southish to do a drift in azimuth. The closer to 180 deg the better I guess, but I do mine at ~150 deg which isn't ideal, and at an altitude of 20-24 deg. Then drift east or west to adjust alt. I notice you have dec guiding off??

Louise

Thing is my house blocks pretty much everything in the south, would I be able get away with using a star closer to zenith?

Hi

I think at DEC = 0 is good, that's at Alt ~34 deg for me. Can you do that? What can you do pointing southish? You can use Stellarium to see how RA/DEC vary for a given altitude and azimuth. 

Louise

I think Altair is the easiest southern star I can see without the house blocking things off

A nearby guide star should be ok to drift align in phd2 (not Altair itself - way too bright!). Try it and see.

Louise

Edit: failing that, use a polarscope to get a reasonable PA. You can still then drift align in the east or west for just the alt adjustment.

I've also seen similar with cloudy nights when the guide star is lost. PHD locks onto image static and tries to guide leading to this haywire behaviour. Did you use a dark library or a hot pixel map in PHD for your guide camera?

Cheers

Ross

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You appear to have missed Louise's comment in post 4 that your DEC guiding is off so that won't help. The fact that the DEC then shoots off the graph indicates that PA is way off as has been suggested or the mount wasn't tracking.

No I didn't miss her post, I did have it set to auto and when the graph looked wayward I tried changing some settings, to see what difference they made. It just so happened I set it to off when I took the pic but I have got it set on auto now

• 1 month later...

Archived