Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Look no rings !!

Dave Smith

That is Newton's rings. It has been nearly a month since doing any imaging due to holiday, visitors and cloud. Today, 21 August 2015 I finally saw the Sun and was able to image.

I have had a lot of problems with Newton's rings and some will remember that David Rose of Rowan Astronomy very kindly loaned me his prototype tilt adapter which worked great. I now have the production version and this is the first opportunity that I have been able to try it out. I set the angle to about 3 degrees as that worked for me before and hey presto NO SIGN of the rings. Brilliant.

Here are my images from this morning using the adapter. The first two of proms had no flats applied but the one of AR2403 did have flats (but no sign of rings on them).

Prom_2015-08-21c.jpg

Prom_2015-08-21bc.jpg

AR2403_2015-08-21c.jpg

Finally here is the arrangement that I use.

Tilt-adapter.jpg

Dave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent Dave, I've taken a few shots with ASI174MM and get a whole lot of NR, I've ordered mine from Rowan Astronomy hoping to recieve it soon.

Now do you know how to get rid of this aweful weather??

Nihal

nice Dave, one day, I would love to achieve  your level and skills, Lum, Southminster.

Thanks Tony, I see you are just down the road from me :smiley:

great images Dave,lovely detail,glad you have sorted the ring problem. thanks for posting. charl.

great news I hope the dreaded NR's are banishing for good

lovely images

Thank you. I'm sure I have now seen the last of NRs :grin:

great image to start back with

Thanks Craig.

Excellent Dave, I've taken a few shots with ASI174MM and get a whole lot of NR, I've ordered mine from Rowan Astronomy hoping to recieve it soon.

Now do you know how to get rid of this aweful weather??

Nihal

You won't regret your purchase. :smiley:  Sorry can't help with the weather :laugh:

Excellent images Dave, wondered where you'd gone :)

Dave

Thanks Dave. Scotland for two weeks with plenty of rain but also some Sun in the second week. :smiley:

Great work. Lovely images.

Thanks Michael.

Dave

I feel very nervous saying this, especially given the excellence of the bottom two images, but the top one looks like a 'double exposure' could it be reflections or just a stacking error?

Not a problem. I don't think there are any stacking errors, that is how it was. I've just played the video again and anything that looks doubled is actually there.

Dave

Not a problem. I don't think there are any stacking errors, that is how it was. I've just played the video again and anything that looks doubled is actually there.

Dave

I'm sure you're right - the human brain does have a strong habit of discovering patterns where there aren't any. I still like the middle one best though!

I've ordered one of these doobries too. Thanks for the report Dave. :icon_salut:

My ASI 174 suffers from NRs and banding. Flats normally sort out the NRs, but the banding causes a bigger problem as the bands can cause areas to overexpose. Flats can't recover that type of problem.

20365486143_c94e1a4d54_b.jpg

^^ A flat field before fitting the tilt adapter

20960306186_3bafc9cf05_b.jpg
^And after fitting it.

And here's my Quark imaging train now that I have a fully threaded connection:

20786338750_a228f9dcd8_b.jpg

ASI 174 mounted on Rowan Astronomy tilt-adapter, fitted to a FLO T2 thread adapter into the Quark. The Quark is then mounted onto a JTW Astronomy barrel (courtesy of Mark Woodward) and then screwed into the focuser. Finally, I know that the Quark is solidly mounted and orthogonal...I hate clamping screws with a passion!

Archived