Narrowband

(first upload) M42 using tracked canon 60d 300m lens only

Well done on your first image. It's quite blue but that's correctable (just probably not by me :rolleyes:).

Have youe ever tried Deep Sky Stacker? It's freeware that will let you layer multiple images on top of each other to greatly reduce noise and increase editing headroom. All you will need after DSS is done with your images is an image editing program that can open 16-bit or 32-bit TIFF files and some new sklills in said image editing program and you'll be off!

Another note: the skyglow in your image can be removed by duplicating the image's layer, removing the stars and the nebula in the image with the clone tool (carefully!) blurring the layer slightly (anywhere between 20px and several hundred, depending on the image) and setting the layer with removed stars and nebulae to "Difference" or "subtraction"

Keep imaging! Clear skies!

~pip

(p.s. not sure what's happened to the stars at the bottom, is that one star gone blurry or multiple close together?...)

Well done on your first image. It's quite blue but that's correctable (just probably not by me :rolleyes:).

Have youe ever tried Deep Sky Stacker? It's freeware that will let you layer multiple images on top of each other to greatly reduce noise and increase editing headroom. All you will need after DSS is done with your images is an image editing program that can open 16-bit or 32-bit TIFF files and some new sklills in said image editing program and you'll be off!

THANKYOU =] yeah i have DSS and use PS to edit the tiff images alot , this was tracked with just 2 exposures and with me having a release cable the two images layed over perfectly ! thankyou again x

Is Orion back alreadyy? How many days shopping to Christmas ?

Neat shot.

hahah no this is just a throwback , and one of my first images x

Well it kinda is back already... if you're willing to stay up til dawn!

And for the two stars i think they are close together

Wide apetures kind of halo sharp points of light instead of a close apeture gives them arms like a twinkle

I dont think the image compression of 1mb helps either lol

Thankyou for the sound advice !

I may need to pick your brains about the beat settings for dss as i just use the defaults for stacking x

And for the two stars i think they are close together

Wide apetures kind of halo sharp points of light instead of a close apeture gives them arms like a twinkle

I dont think the image compression of 1mb helps either lol

Thankyou for the sound advice !

I may need to pick your brains about the beat settings for dss as i just use the defaults for stacking x

Well, first I'd advise against drizzle, it will almost certainly cause an "Out of memory" error.

Then I'd have to say the same about the hot pixel filter, it's also slow and slightly ruins the image (as far as I used it, at least)

I have found that "Average" is good, but Kappa-sigma or Auto adaptive weighted average are better (though slower) Maximum is good for identifying imperfections you encounter (it proved that one of my images not only had trails of hot pixels (i'm unguided) but also a near by street lamp was glaring in my lens!

I have not experimented with the bayer settings, but I'm meaning to do a comparison between the normal bayer interpolation and bayer drizzle. Can't comment on that ATM.

Always remember to set the destination folder for a stack... many hours have been wasted by forgetting to tell DSS where to save and after the stacking is done, you find out DSS didn't save the autosave.tiff (and you get no image!)

As far as hot pixels go on DSLRs, though, I am working on a potential work-around that may require use of the bayer-drizzle method... But whether it works or not is yet to be determined.

That's about all I have to say as far as tips go, I may have added some unnecesary junk info in there as well as per usual...

Good luck!

~pip

Archived