SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newby, GT 60

GT 60

Hi everyone, GT 60 here I live in Walsall West Midlands. Don't have a telescope (need some advice) and only a little knowledge of astronomy (need some advice) but willing to learn. Always been a keen photographer so would like to incorporate both any advice would be helpful. Are there any astronomy groups in my area ?

Your' truly GT 60

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi GT and welcome! We are friendly here and we are always willing to help!

Can't help you with astrophotography but my advice is that you keep your money; don't go rushing to buy a scope. The most important factor in my experience is the quality of the skies you have in your region. If you have dark skies, many many stars are visible then even a small scope can view many many things. On the other hand if you don' have dark skies you could consider travelling to get some nice views. Anyway you will find lots of info here. Remember it's all about the skies.

Cheers from Greece

Tzitzis

Hi and welcome to SGL - This is the place to be for all things astro. There's masses to learn if you are interested in taking astro photography further. I guess it depends on what you want to achieve. If you are interested in nebula's and galaxies (as opposed to lunar and planetary) then you'd do well to buy a copy of the book 'Making every photon count' available from the FLO website in their book section. It's something of an imagers bible and will save you time and money in expensive mistakes.

Sadly visual and imaging aren't really compatible on the kit front and what is good for one is not generally good for the other.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi GT 60 and welcome to SGL, best advice don`t run before you can walk. You have not given us much information as to where your preferences lie and your leaning towards Astrophotography. 

For a start look for advice in the relevant sections of the forum, there you should find answers to your questions on telescopes and Astrophotography. There a many members in the West Midlands, and I am sure it will not be long before advice on local clubs in your area will be provided. Enjoy the forum :)

Hi GT 60

Welcome to SGL you've come to the right place for help and info

+1 for making every photon count. It is an absolute mine of information and will help in your first purchases and save you money in the long term. A double win

Good luck and look forward to seeing your first images

Gareth.

Archived