Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mercury Returns

scotastro

Using SkyMap Pro I have been monitoring Mercury moving away from the Sun. Tonight would be visible about 30 mins after sunset and there it was an easy binocular object about 5 deg above a clear western horizon. It will soon be naked eye visibility.

Scotastro

This is a great opportunity to see Mercury

For me this will be the second time I have seen it this year :angry:

From my house the only way to see Mercury is to stand in an upstairs bedroom and look over the roofs of the other houses

Cheers

Ian

From my house the only way to see Mercury is to stand in an upstairs bedroom and look over the roofs of the other houses

That's pretty much what I have to do as well Ian :-)

I've seen Mercury a few times in the past and it's always a thrill to find it - even if you can't see much more than a tiny gibbous disk through a scope !.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to see it twice this week

Tuesday & last night, both times from the top of Richmond Hill.

The only issue is that there is a very small window of opportunity to see it as soon after the Sun set Mercury drops into the Murk that obscures the sky upto 5 degrees above the horizon.

You can try locating Mercury before the Sun sets. I find it by setting circles, using the Sun (with a suitable filter) as a reference. Then, hopping to Mercury. You can get the coordinates for both from any planetarium program.

Archived