sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

Padded Telescope Case - Skywatcher 250PX Flextube (OTA Section)

Hello,

Has anyone found a good padded case the for OTA of the Skywatcher 250PX Flextube telescope?  I've looked at the Orion bag for the XT10 but it is too long and ~£100 is more than I want to pay.  The main issue with finding one at the moment is the diameter including the finderscope and focuser.  I'd like a bag that is fairly snug so that it is not 'floating around' in there.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Adam

Hello, Adam and welcome to SGL.

There are a few alternatives for you, but that's a fair sized scope to bag up and I think you will be lucky to find anything fairly decent for much less that the hundred you mentioned.

TS in Germany has quite a few options, but the cost is against you.. here's a link.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c89_Cases---Covers.html/page/2

I have not seen many alternatives out there on the second hand market, so unless someone else has any ideas to help, it will be either saving up, or make something yourself.

Sorry.

Gordon.

I have a standard 250px (not Flextube) and I made my own out of a huge card board box and heavy duty bubble wrap. It works well, but not sure how long it will last with the damp nights out.

I would like to go to Anchor Supplies, they sell everything ex military, including so large cases. They have 2 depots in Nottingham and Derby. I'm not sure where you are in the country, but you could try them online.

Good luck.

Tony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all. It does seem like there's a gap in the market here for general purpose telescope padded bags, I see a potential business opportunity here! I'll keep looking and post if i find anything. Couldnt see anything on the army surplus site unfortunately.

Cheers

Adam

I would go for the traditional botch job.

1/Padding in the form of a couple of cheap neoprene camping mats with Velcro securing points to clad the OTA.

2/A sail bag ie. http://www.force4.co.uk/department/chandlery-above-deck/sail-protection-halyard-bags-awnings-covers/sail-storage-bag.html#.VdJgHoikqrU

3/replace the "shower cap" with a hard version. ie. The one that protects the main tube (you see these on Astroboot regularly for about £10)

Paul

I've had a bit of a brainwave.  You can get large cricket bags which would do the job nicely.  Just then need to add some additional padding.  Comes with the benefit of pockets to store bits and pieces too....

I've looked at golf bags and they just seem a bit too narrow for comfort, although storage wise being upright would be a distinct advantage.  With the surfing bags they just seem a bit too big!  The cricket bags at around 100x45x45 seem ideal if slightly too long.  The main issue is the width, I think the 250PX flextube needs the width to accommodate the finder scope and focuser and leave room to line it with plenty of padding.  I have an old neoprene camping ground sheet that will line it nicely.  For £45 I don't think it can be done better for the money (or any cheaper really).

Thanks all, I think we have a solution!  I'll let you know how I get on once it's arrived and I've had time to sort it all out.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...