SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fringe Killer Filters for AP

Hi,

Are the fringe killer type filters (reducing blue/violet bloat) any good for imaging with? I have a scope which gives bloated blue and when imaging with a DSLR, I have no ability to manage blue separately so wondered if these would make any difference? I am talking DSO imaging here.

Cheers

Matt

I once tried a Baader Semi APO filter with a Canon 1000D and an Orion ST80A. I made several images of Vega with and without the filter. The blue fringe was present with or without the filter albeit slightly paler with the filter.

A filter will reduce CA but cannot eliminate it.

If it is a coloured item then it also alters the colour balance.

I am not sure they could be considered an actual apodisation filter in the proper sense of one.

My usual answer is that if they worked we would go buy a cheap achro, say and ST 80 and an apo filter, not a WO GT81 triplet apo costing 5x as much.

What does work is Adobe Lightroom's defringe in the Lens Corrections tab. It can't remove any amount of fringes without reducing image quality, but it cleans up an image wonderfully. You can also remove quite a bit of CA there.

Archived