Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 60da modified 100d/650d

cyg

Hi All

I am currently using a Canon 1100d un-modified, and would like to upgrade to a newer and suitable astro imaging, Canon DSLR.

I have looked through the sales sites and have found that Canon's (100d or 700d) and be supplied already modified, however I have also found a Canon 60da which is available for a slightly higher price.

Which is likely to be the best Canon DSLR for astro imaging, (a modified (Baader) Canon 100d/700d camera or the Canon un-modified stock 60da camera)? 

Regards

John

Hi All

I am currently using a Canon 1100d un-modified, and would like to upgrade to a newer and suitable astro imaging, Canon DSLR.

I have looked through the sales sites and have found that Canon's (100d or 700d) and be supplied already modified, however I have also found a Canon 60da which is available for a slightly higher price.

Which is likely to be the best Canon DSLR for astro imaging, (a modified (Baader) Canon 100d/700d camera or the Canon un-modified stock 60da camera)? 

Regards

John

I'm biased.......60Da.

The 60Da has a modified filter as standard.

Plus it has proper movie crop mode which is excellent for the Moon and planets.

You don't need a swivel screen but it does help a lot. I have got a Canon 650D with a swivel screen and a 6D without...I prefer the 6D because it produces better images.

Sure I have to contort my body into strange positions to see the LCD but the final image is king.

All being equal though a swivel screen is very handy.

I believe the 60Da was not was good as a custom modified 60D. A comparison between the 60D to the 700D favours the 60D slightly in terms of noise performance and dynamic range. 

Same more or less goes for the 100D to 60D comparison, although I think you'll find the 100D quite cheaper. 

Conclusion: 

Budget aside I would go for a custom modified 60D. 

If money comes into play maybe better to get the 100D modified

Archived