Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help with processing an M51 image

Hi all, I need some advice and help. I have attached 2 images below of the M51 from my last session out with the scope. I have a lot of LP as can be seen from the one, even though I used a LP Filter. I ran a pass through GradientXtermainator and it looks like the second image.

For some reason this time, I can't seem to remove the LP on this image and bring out any detail. Obviously these are the TIF files I am working from, but I was wondering if there is too much LP in this image to remove and these will have to be wasted? I processed a M51 before and got the object out, but I can't get do nothing with these.

They were 15 x 60 sec subs stacked in DSS. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

post-3939-0-98132500-1439725164_thumb.jp

post-3939-0-29942000-1439725169_thumb.jp

I would go back to the first stage and start playing with levels and curves to bring out the structure whilst bringing the background down towards blackish (30-35 if I remember right in PS). Once I'm happy with that I would THEN do the gradientXterminator to remove any exisiting gradients. Then touch it up as you see fit afterwards :)

Phil

For some reason this time, I can't seem to remove the LP on this image and bring out any detail. 

The reason for this is that  your image was taken while trying to shoot through mist or high cirrus ...which ever the case water vapour is reflecting the light pollution back lowering contrast.

I was wondering if there is too much LP in this image to remove and these will have to be wasted?

Sadly yes ...don't  waste your time   :BangHead:   as they say!

My advice is to become more familiar with your local 'seeing' conditions, a bit of practice will pay off in the end, also look at the metoffice IR radar maps showing distribution of low cloud/mist as well as high cirrus rain/showers....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=SatelliteIRAndRADAR&fcTime=1440038700&zoom=5&lon=-3.90&lat=54.62

Clear skies!

Mike

Quick lp fix

Click on levels in photoshop

You have 3 droplet tools in the box

Click the middle on as uts for midtones

Click on a blank area of sky thats flat with colour and photoshop resets the image to a more natural blacker image , i do it with orions neb alot when its orangey and set the sky grey with orion a nice natural colour

Hi all, I need some advice and help. I have attached 2 images below of the M51 from my last session out with the scope. I have a lot of LP as can be seen from the one, even though I used a LP Filter. I ran a pass through GradientXtermainator and it looks like the second image.

For some reason this time, I can't seem to remove the LP on this image and bring out any detail. Obviously these are the TIF files I am working from, but I was wondering if there is too much LP in this image to remove and these will have to be wasted? I processed a M51 before and got the object out, but I can't get do nothing with these.

They were 15 x 60 sec subs stacked in DSS. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi

Might be worth checking your individual subs and discarding any with cloud and trying to stack the remainder, if there are some good ones. Sometimes you just have to ditch bad subs... More data needed too! 15 x 60s just doesn't seem much for a galaxy though you do have the beginnings of an image.

Keep at it!

Louise

Thanks all for the great advice. The night I took the subs it was clear with no mist or high cirrus as I do check with met office, unless it was because it was a little low in the sky. 

I need to get into my head that I need to do a lot more subs for images now, as with my Alt/Az I was limited to short exposures and stuff.

Here is the TIF file unprocessed if someone wants to have a look. Any help and advice on where I went wrong would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfzkblekqjhwir9/M51%2060%20secs.TIF?dl=0

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Archived